Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My child is just 9 months old. Her father and I are just

Customer Question
separated as he has played...
My child is just 9 months old. Her father and I are just separated as he has played very little part in her upbringing to date. He has also just been diagnosed with clinical depression and is on medication and receiving help for same. She is happy in his company when he is around and he is good with her. The problem is, now that we are separated , I would like to know how we should go about sharing my daughters care. Is it safe to leave her for a whole weekend while he is clinically depressed on meds.While I would like a break every now and then in order top get my life back, I want what is best for her at all costs. While he is happy to spend time with her it is always when it suits him. He usually shows up an hour before she goes to bed during the week and rarely sees her at weekends, however, he will do when he is asked. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/1/2012
Mental Health Professional: KansasTherapist, LSCSW replied 5 years ago
KansasTherapist
Unless a depressed person is suicidal or has severe anger outbursts, there is no reason he or she can't take care of their child. Since your husband is on medication, his mood should be stable or getting there. You wrote that he is good with your daughter and she is happy to see him. That is an indicator that he is likely interacting with her and caring for her needs. It might be a good thing to set up a regular schedule of visits rather than letting him come over when he likes. it may not be an issue right now, but has you start having plans of your own, it would be good for everyone to known whatnot expect.
I hope this helps.
KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW