Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I have been sufferring from upper back pain for many years,

Customer Question

i have tried and tested so many ways to make it better but no luck.
It isnt really pain it feel extremly tight and i find it hard to breathe in and out andi hear little cracks too.
i constantly need to crakc my back , and i burp so much.
i find it is relieved when i lie down or if i have a bowel movement.
I am asking a mental health professional as doctors havnt helped much and some say its mental but i dnt feel it is.
What if this is it, i have to live with this, how do i cope i dont know the triggers i guess and its so depressing i cant work or anything
im only 29 and i feel there is no solution.
Can you guide me in the right direction or know of someone that can help
its hurts to be living like this.
i recently went back to the chiro practor but it jsut seems i got worse after my adjustment. i had more anxiety and tension and couldnt breate or sleep all night
Ive been put on endep and other antidepressants.
its tough.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rossi :

Good Morning,

Dr. Rossi :

There had been some suggestions that incorrect (strained/shallow) breathing and anxiety can contribute to upper back pain.

Customer:

hello

Dr. Rossi :

What sort of therapy were you using i.e. CBT, progressive relaxation, etc?

Customer:

yes CBT i have a psychologist but im not really managing well. and i dnt feel its helping..when i get this discomfort it feels like nothing can make it beta

Customer:
Customer:

right now i have it and i tried going toilet and i couldnt so i feel mrore discomfort..wat can i do?

Dr. Rossi :

Other therapies are available to help w/ main management such as hypnotherapy (some insurance covers this)

Dr. Rossi :

Neurofeedback/biofeedback is another

Dr. Rossi :

Some info on the studies just FYI

Dr. Rossi :

Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies
Volume 8, Issue 4 , Pages 297-306, October 2004

Pain and faulty breathing: a pilot study
Customer:

thankyou kindly

Dr. Rossi :

There are other tools - meditation (to learn to de-stress and become mindful of your breathing) progressive muscle relaxation exercise

Customer:

ive been there done that..

Dr. Rossi :

The anxiety level can make the pain worse. If there is also some depression present, that too can make one feel the pain worsen.

Dr. Rossi :

You've done hypnosis?

Customer:

im tired of trying ..and i was put on endep and stopped that was making me so tired and wasnt helping with my back..everyone is saying something different the chiro said my neck is too straight but my bf has teh same neck issue but he diesnt have thisi back problem

Dr. Rossi :

All right. I am not sure what to suggest if "you're tired of trying." I've had the experience myself when I discovered the research and link b/w incorrect breathing/anxiety and back pain. There are no magical solutions. Other options would be surgery/nerve pain management implant depending on the feedback from your treating MD.

Customer:

some say do an MRI and catscan but the doctors dnt recommend dont know why...the chiropractor took xrays isnt that enough..even if i did have a catscan what could possibly come upas the cause