How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

separated son

Resolved Question:

my son is separated from his wife for two months now he desperately wants to get the family together but his wife is absolutely not commital shes undergoing counselling she is comming across totally uncaring with absolutely no communication. I have never seen this type of behaviour before her reason for splitting was because he was working too hard and not paying enough attention to her. how can i help him as he is undersoing terrible emotional upheaval.

kind regards

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Did his wife leave home?
Do they have children?
Is his wife open to couple counseling?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

his wife is in their home he chose to leave as she did not want him there there are two children his wife is undergoing couselling initially she said that it was over ... her communication is in riddles to me it seems some type of mental torture ...she may be depressed her side of family has a bipolar disorder

I'm desperate to help both of them... thank you

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
So, your son is separated from his wife for two months; his wife asked him to leave their home. It sounds like she may be depressed as her behavior seems to be irrational based of your report. You stated her reason for splitting was because her husband was working too hard and not paying enough attention to her. Perhaps, she may be vulnerable to depression after having children as her family member also had mood disorder.
In any case, you may encourage your son and her to work with a marriage counselor first. Possibly, she has had trouble communicating her feelings and thoughts with her husband for some reason.
She may be going through a major depressive episode.
She may need to continue seeing a counselor for herself weekly.
In addition, she and her husband (your son) should start seeing a marriage counselor for the sake of their children and family.
Can you also get help from her family?
You and her family both may encourage her to work with a marriage counselor to resolve issues in their marriage if there is any.
In the meantime, you may continue to give him support. You may tell him that his wife may be having a major depressive episode and need help from a specialist - her doctor, a counselor, and/or a psychiatrist. Also, they need a marriage counselor to discuss what she's been unhappy about, what they both can find a way to resolve problems etc..
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions