How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old daughter has been arrested for the first

Customer Question

My 17 year old daughter has been arrested for the first time, for cocaine posession last week end. How to be the best possible parent after the trust has been lost ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm sorry to hear about your 17 year old daughter's situation.
It sounds like she has used the drug lately.
As a result, she has been arrested for cocaine possession.
You and her father both need to be on the same page in terms of disciplining her and supporting her for her possible emotional problems.
For example, you and he may give her consequences of her self-defeating and bad behavior like removal of privilledge (e.g., her car) for 1-3 months or so. Also, you and her father both have to communicate same messages to her: drug use is bad and will damage her brain - therefore her future. You and her father both don't accept her behavior. Also, you and her father should tell her you are there to help her recover from this. If she's felt sad or unhappy about something, she should work with a specialist - a psychotherapist.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a book that you can refer me or a place in Los Angeles that ou can refer me for some more counseling
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
Your daughter may have used drugs due to peer pressure OR emotional problems.
In any case, she may benefit from seeing a psychotherapist WEEKLY for 3 months or longer. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat addiction and adolescent depression and anxiety. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) may work for her condition.
You may ask her pediatrician for a psychologist/psychotherapist specializing in adolescent and drug use that she can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed child psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as child/adoelscent and addiction. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and adolescent. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that she wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
If she needs a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which she can get counseling even without health insurance.
The book "Stay Close: A Mother's Story of Her Son's Addiction by
Cataldi" may give you some insight into how to help your child recover from drug use.
Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve her brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate herself during daytime.
Physical activity increases blood flow to her whole body, including your brain. This may help improve her mood.
Other recommendations for your daughter are:
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Plan and try to have pleasurable activities with family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on her mood.
Set limits on the amount of time she spends on the internet, TV and video games to avoid information overload.
I hope your daughter gets well with all available help.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.
All the best to your daughter!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dr Olsen,

is it better to let my daughter go to Santa Barbara College for her studies this summer or keeping her in Santa Monica College ...? (Santa Barbara she will meet new friends but she will be by herself, in Santa Monica she will have her parents support but the bad friends will be in town, and probably as well going to SMC...)

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
I'm back online now.
I'll answer your question.