Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

The matter is and I never asked this, why I'm so scared when

The matter is and I never asked this , why I'm so scared when I have to pass a big dog. It's just if that dog knows that I'm scared and sometimes comes after me. I've never been really attacked but they bark most of the times and there is one dog that I know from when he was very young. I teased him sometimes but now, when I pass his house, he starts barking, although he cannot see me. My youngest doughter has the same experience.
I think it has to do with the fact that my parents were cousins.
Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 5 years ago.

I'm Alicia, thanks for your question. I'm happy to help. I'm not entirely sure how your parents being cousins would affect your being scared of big dogs, however, it sounds like you might be suffering from a phobia. This is known as "cynophobia" and it's one of the most common animal phobias. You might be interested in reading this information about cynophobia:
http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/library/cynophobia/

It's a type of anxiety disorder that can be treated with a specific form of therapy known as cognitive-behavioral therapy, or CBT. You can read more about CBT here:
http://nacbt.org/whatiscbt.aspx

You can also seek assistance from a psychologist or another licensed mental health practitioner to help treat the underlying causes. If this is not an option because of your location, you might also wish to discuss this conditon with your primary care physician.

Best wishes. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.