Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Kate I worry too much of what other people think of me. Are

Hello Kate I worry too...
Hello Kate I worry too much of what other people think of me. Are there any books you recommend that can help me to stop caring what others think? Would hypnosis be helpful? I found a cd titled stop caring what others think at real subliminal.com. It has hidden subliminal messages with the sound of ocean waves. I think it would be better with a person coaching me on the cd than just hidden subliminal messages. Are there any hypnosis cds you recommend? I found a certified hypnotherapist Debi Berndt and she has some courses out in different areas to help people. Customer service emailed me back and said the super sexy confidence course is a great option for me. I also found hypnoshop.com. The hypnotherapists have many many categories to choose from to help people in all areas. I would prefer a female hypnotherapist.Your recomendations on hypnosis cds would be great. I miss you. You are so nice to talk to.
5/18/2012
TherapistMarryAnn

Thank you! You are very kind. I like talking with you as well.

I'm not sure how much you know about hypnosis, though it does sound like you have done a lot of research so you may know a lot by now. But I thought I might give a brief description just to be sure you know where I am coming from with my suggestions to help you.

Hypnosis, contrary to popular belief, is really a collaborative effort between the person and the hypnotist. The hypnotist acts as a guide to helping the person achieve what their goals rather than someone who makes the person do strange things or controls them in some way.

A person who is under hypnosis experiences heightened suggestibility and focused attention. While everyone reacts differently to hypnosis, people have described it as feeling very relaxed, open to suggestion and some are able to hold normal conversations while under hypnosis.

Hypnosis can help people remove themselves from direct stimuli, including feeling pain. Some people are even able to undergo surgery using hypnosis, although this is rare.

Hypnosis may help you feel more focused and give you a sense of well being. You may be able to gain some increased self esteem (helping you care less about what others think of you) through suggestion although it is unlikely hypnosis will solve the entire issue. That is because self esteem issues tend to be rooted in past emotional abuse or trauma and that is a larger problem that needs addressed through the work of therapy or intense self help.

To start with, here is a website that will not only help you understand what hypnosis can do for you, but it also includes resources (on the last page) for finding a hypnotist and information about hypnosis:

http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx#

Also, here are some CD's that might help:

The Calming Collection - Goodbye Worries. ** Guided meditation to train your mind to quiet your thoughts - Train your mind to quiet your thoughts CD - Hypnotic Guided CD ** by Roberta Shapiro M.Ed

Overcoming Obstacles; A Self-Hypnosis Journey for Unlocking Creativity, Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem by C Ht Melissa Rose

Just be careful when searching for CD's and other help that the person doing the CD is qualified, such as a certified hypnotist or someone with a mental health degree like a Master's or Ph.D. Anyone can advertise hypnosis, but only a qualified person should do it so you do not end up getting hurt or misled.

Worrying too much about what others think has a lot to do with low self esteem. When you have low self esteem, you don't get your value from yourself. You look to others to tell you your value. In order to change that, improving your self esteem is vital. Here are some resources to help:

The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem: The Definitive Work on Self-Esteem by the Leading Pioneer in the Field by Nathaniel Branden

Learning to Love Yourself: Finding Your Self-Worth by Sharon Wegscheider-Cruse

Hypnotic Techniques for Increasing Self-Esteem by R. A. Steffenhange

The Ultimate Secrets of Total Self-Confidence by Robert Anthony

Try those books and see if they help. If you need more, just let me know.

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist