Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

Is there a natural remedy for treating adult ADHD?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 5 years ago.
Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I hope to be of some assistance to you!

Heidi LPC :

Natural remedies haven't been scientifically proven to work, thus doctors cannot prescribe them for ADHD. I am attaching a link with some great advice; http://www.ehow.com/way_5312959_natural-treatments-symptoms-adult-adhd.html This article gives the very basics of why exercise is a fantastic way to control the physical impulses, as exercise encourages the body to release it's natural "feel good" calming chemicals of endorphins, dopamine and serotonin into the body.

Heidi LPC :

Also, learning to control the mind's impulses through some cognitive behavior therapy can be useful, as well.

Heidi LPC :

I am also including a link on diet and the use of caffeine in treating ADHD: http://www.ehow.com/how_5685260_use-caffeine-adhd-symptoms.html

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** check it out. I really don't want to take medications.

Heidi LPC :

Progressive muscle relaxation is a useful thing to learn, in which you practice tensing and relaxing each muscle progressively throughout the body to relax. You tube has some wonderful, free videos to teach it.

Heidi LPC :

Hang on, I will find one:

Heidi LPC :

This one is a simple introduction to connecting with your body and it's impulses, to gain control over them.

Heidi LPC :

Also, menopause can complicate our nervous system and entire system, in general... so if that is the case, since I see that you are 55, keep this in mind.

Heidi LPC :

I hope you found my answer somewhat helpful; please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with... :-)

Customer:

No that's it for now. I will try these suggestions. Thanks

Heidi LPC :

Have a great day!! Happy to help!! :-)