How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Heidi LPC Your Own Question
Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 278
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Heidi LPC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother was diagnosed 3 years ago with dementia, she

This answer was rated:

My mother was diagnosed 3 years ago with dementia, she showed signs of memory decline. I took her to a medical doctor, and he prescribed Aricept and Namenda, and diagnose her with Dementia. Now 3 years on in to this diagnoses, he now says that she has cognitive dsyfunction, because she still functions normally otherwise. What is going here? Should I have taken my mother to a psychiatrist or a brain specialist, and not a medical doctor? Has she been possibly improperly diagnose?
Heidi LPC :

Neurologists specialize in this type of situation and can do more intensive testing to determine the physical causes of memory issues. It wouldn't hurt to make an appointment with a neurologist in your area in an attempt to get a more solid diagnosis and testing process. I wish you all the best as you work your way through this problem, and I would love to hear if this new Dr. gives you the information you were looking for!! Have a good day!


Thank You Heidi, what a good recommendation, for my Mom.

Heidi LPC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
You are so very welcome, and good luck! Thank you for using the site!!