How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Short version / I have been victimnized and traumatized by a

Resolved Question:

Short version / I have been victimnized and traumatized by a car accident where a girl was text messaging and went through the red light. It affected my memory and processing skills in my temporal lobe. I ended up taking 2 years off work and have voraciously worked to organize daily living skills, memory tricks and order of teaching so I won't forget. In addition, this has made me very anxious and have a serious major depression disorder because I am no the same excelling teacher as before. So my principal wants me to retire, tells me I am expensive but good, and continues to bring popcorn to school.----I am very allergic to popcorn and she knew this 5 years. I am the last to learn about my position for next year and tomorrow is it. I am afraid I will have a major meltdown afterwards and end back in the hospital. What can I do afterwards? THANKS!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Are you working with a psychologist and a psychiatrist for your trauma?
Do you have any medical condition?
How are your sleep and appetite now?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see a neuropsychologist once a week on Monday afternoons and a psychiatrist who is a researcher and the Medical Director of the hospital once a month. Last week the psychiatrist changed and added medication in the hospital where I could be safe from SI. For the depression he said he was pulling out all the stops and I am taking lamictal at night, effexor, something for my thyroid for depression, and lithium. He also has me take deplin (vItamin for the neurotransmitters). I have worked very hard to have a scheduled sleep pattern. I only wake up once per night for "a potty run." With the addition of lithium, I can't get enough food. Not so good for diabetes. I have an insulim pump, Also, tghe allergy to popcorn that is airborne.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
Let me say I can imagine how sad, anxious, and fearful this situation must seem to you.
You went through a major traumatic incident (the car accident) that you are not responsible for.
You must have severe PTSD symptoms – flashbacks and severe anxiety attacks. Your pain is beyond words.
I would advise you to work with a psychologist specialzing in PTSD/trauma, Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) and/or EMDR.
The most common treatment modalities for PTSD include cognitive-behavioral treatment (CBT), pharmacotherapy, EMDR, group treatment, and psychodynamic treatment.
You may need to see a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in PTSD. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) and EMDR(Eye Movement desensitization and reprocessing) will work for both PTSD. EMDR and CBT (including RELAXATION TECHNIQUES, IMAGINAL FLOODING, GRADUATED & PROLONGED EXPOSURE, IMPLOSIVE THERAPY, STRESS INOCULATION TRAINING) are most effective for PTSD.
You may find a licensed psychologist or a specialist who SPECIALIZES IN EMDR and/or CBT and PTSD & Depression in a community clinic, a local hospital or a private office setting.
Or contact your insurance company and get a list of providers with the specialty.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as PTSD. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and PTSD.
Another way to find a psychotherapist, you may call your insurance company and can ask for a list of providers who you may work with. If you have no health insurance, you can also call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get treatment described above even without health insurance. You can get counseling for free or low fee.
To find a specialist/therapist for PTSD, contact ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA( and go to the link - ( To find a therapist who specialize in EMDR, please go to the website ( and go to the section FIND AN EMDR CLINICIAN (
Another way to find a PTSD specialist/psychiatrist in your area is, you can contact any of the following organizations: the Sidran Foundation(###) ###-#### Anxiety Disorders Association of America(###) ###-#### American Psychological Association(###) ###-#### NAMI(###) ###-####
Additionally, call the National Center for Victims of Crime's toll-free information and referral service at 1-800-FYI-CALL. This is a comprehensive database of more than 6,700 community service agencies throughout the country that directly support victims of crime.
Additionally, I would advise you to try yoga, massage therapy, acupuncture, nutritional therapy, and Biofeedback to reduce stress and anxiety and promote relaxation and healing from trauma.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
I want to check in with you if you have any other question that I can assist you with.
I hope you get all available help to overcome your trauma response and get better.
Feel free to contact me anytime.