Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

ASK SUZANNE, Hopefully, this is the last email about my sister-in-laws.

ASK SUZANNE, Hopefully, this is the last email about my sister-in-laws. My psychologist said I am guilty of saying too much, but they are more wrong in responding in hurtful mean ways. A psychic recently told me that everything that went down between us is not my fault. I agree with that. The question/problem is, how am I suppose to act around them? Just be polite and say little? What would you advise? Going down the shore on weekends soon where we will be sharing a house together.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 5 years ago.

I think the best way to act is to give them nothing to react to....and by that I mean treat them politely and respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX as if they are a work acquaintance rather than as family. You know how at work people chat about neutral topics, and don't get too personal? I think that may be your best bet with the in-laws. Treat the vacation like a company picnic...don't do or talk about anything you wouldn't talk about at work.

I know you wish you could be close with them, but with all that's happened with them in the past few months, keeping it light is a much safer path to take.

Suzanne

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think that is the best way to view it. to act like they are work acquaintances. perfect.