Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

OWNER, FATHER, 29 YEARS OLD. mY FATHER HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED

Customer Question
I AM BUSINESS OWNER, FATHER...
I AM BUSINESS OWNER, FATHER, 29 YEARS OLD. mY FATHER HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED BIPOLAR WITH ADULT ADHD. sEEMS THE OLDER i GET THE WORSE i FEEL MY ABILITY TO FOCUS IS CHANGING. ivE HAVE ocD LIKE BEHAVIORS iVE HAD SINCE CHILD HOOD. bUT i HAVE A HUGE RESPONSIBLITY BEING A FATHER AN BUSINESS OWNER. i FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO FORCE MY SELF TO FOUC ON MY KIDS. MY CLIENTS EVERYTHING, LIKE IM LISTENING BUT MY RACING THOUGHTS HAVE ME IN WONDERLAND. IS SCARING ME THAT I CANT JUST NATURALLY WANNA BE INVOLVED WITH MY KIDS OR EMPLOYEES WITHOUT STRUGGLING TO FOUCS. aS A KIDS I WAS ALWAYS THE HYPER ACTIVE PROBLEM KID. AS IVE GOTTEN OLDER I SEEM TOHAVE ALL THE SAME STRUGGLES MY FATHER HAS. iM LOSING MY ORGANIZATIN SKILSS AND I CANNOT STAY ON TRACK WITH MY THOUGHT PATTERNS. SOOON ONE THING I GO RIGHT TO SOMTHING ELSE. IVE HAD MY RELATIONSHIPS WITH WOMEN FAIL CAUSE ITS LIKE I CANT REGISTER WHAT THERE SAYING. ITS JUST FRUSTRATING HAVING TO FORCE MY BRAIN TO DO THINGS THAT SHOULD COME NATUARALLY EASY. AN ITS PROGRESSING. MY EMPLOYESS NOTICED A CHANGE. MY KIDS ARE AFFECTED....AND I FEEL LIKE IM STRUGGLE WITH THE SAME THINGS MY DAD DOES. ERATIC MOOD SWINGS. ENERGETIC ONE DAY. STUGGLE TO GET UP THE NEXT. im ALSO OBSESSIVE ON ALWAYS DOING SOMETHING. THIS IS JUST A TASTE AS ITS HARD TO TYPE WHAT MY MENTAL STRUGGLE IT. i DONT USE DRUGS, ALCOHOL NEVER SMOKED. iVE ALWAYS BEEN A STRONG LEADER AND I FEEL LIKE I CANNOT FOCUS ON WHATS IN FRONT OF ME FULLY. AND IN MY PROFESSION. ITS IMERATIVE. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. TIRED OF THE MENTAL STRUGGLE. AND HAVING THE ERACTICE MOOD SWINGS. AND STARTING PROJECTS AND SIMPLY JUST MOVING TO SOMETING ELSE WITHOUT EVEN BEING AWARE.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
5/1/2012
Mental Health Professional: Brad The Therapist, LCPC replied 5 years ago
Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your post. Based on your description, I can see how stressed and frustrated you must be feeling at this point. Based on your post, I have a few questions for you. What are your current expectations for this site? Are you looking for a referral to a therapist or a few coping skills to decrease your current stress? When did you first notice these changes and what was happening in your life during this time? After your response, I will be able to give you more specific recommendations.

Customer: ive been an emotional roletcoaastal my whole life..wasnt til last months its become overwralming. my dad has great sucess with therepy and medication. i cant control the thihgs ij my head and they are getting worse and i cant find someobe to diagnosis is theres something. i spoke to a councelor but i dont feel he helped or understood my struggle and fear..i have a lot to lose. so idk where to turn. my fanily cant help an is being affected. my employees. my goal is to find a way to be able to really focus on whats at hand an not have a overwhelming bomb od thoughts hammering me. the councelor i spoke to offered no help. the adhd my dad has is like the same symptons i deal with...everday is a struggle...not to mention anxiery. fear. up an downn mood swinya and other issues. depression comes an goes an i dont understand y. i just cant focus. thats the biggest issue. and i mean on a crazy levvel....in a fam man. boss. college grad good life. but aftet idebtifying wirh my dad an seen his sucess. thats what i want. idk whats wrong butvits getting hardet scary. i have conversations with people andbforget instanrly...tired pf trying to do it alone
Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your response. Please tell me more about your responsibilities, in the order of priorities. One way to ease anxiety is to prepare as much as you can for your responsibilities. If you have too much responsibilities, can you give those responsibilties to others? Also, have you considered seeing a psychologist, not just a counselor?

Customer:

I am a business owner, a 400,000 dollar a year business,. with five employeesm, Im the boss, accountant, manager, payroll guy. book keeper. Im a one man machine, my crew helps and I definetly utilize them as much as I can. Its not the amount of work that is an issue. plus balancing a home life with kids. I can handle all that. the problem is my memory, attention, and as of late struggle to stay on top of things which is a big deal because i have always been a driven focused multitasking beast. Now my mind is scrambled, i have ful conversations an forget what was said. I deal with customers and can remember adressing there problems but forget who they are or what it was. I jump from one thing to the next in an obsessive manner. like there is no ease. I have considered seeing a psych. I was under the impression thats what this was for. I understand stress and its effects. my whole issue is in my mind. Its hard to type out. Its like looking someone right in the eyes, during a conversation. Where they feel im totoally focused on an my brain is off else where. this happens work. home. Hell i was just on vacation to take some time off and i couldnt even focus on that. Feels like shit, when I cant easily focus on my girlfriend or kids in a genunine maner. Its like iM good at faking being there when actually Im not. and after having multiple people say they notice something. iM reaching out. theres much more also. So i hope your not just gona say go to a pschy, cause I was under the assumption thats what this was for and paying money for that lil bit of info sucks. I would like to have a pro give some kind of diagnosis. Am I more prone to having adult adhd like my father, are eratic mood swings normal, is it good being a father whos kids words go in one ear an out the other a good thing. is it normal for a normally driven person so suddenly lose interest in his passions. I know in my gut theres something changing. so guess Im gona go see a psych an not waste any more time. I thought this was what I was doing. i know its hard to figure someone out without really knowing them but. I jus wanna know if these symptoms sounds similar to a what my dad has an if my chances are higher at getting what he has.

Mental Health Professional: sopsych, Therapist replied 5 years ago
sopsych
sopsych, Therapist
Hi: It is both unethical and against regulations here to offer a diagnosis, so I can't do that. However your concerns about OCD and ADD I can respond to. OCD is an anxiety disorder often combined with certain characterological traits. ADD is an attentional disorder and probably has to do with how the brain and nervous system processes information. Both things are treatable usually with a combination of psychotherapy and medication. I would suggest that you get a complete psychological evaluation and a psychiatric consultation to help with the diagnosis and to rule out other similar conditions. Once you get a clear diagnosis, you will be able to determine how to address the issues and whether psycho-pharmacology, psychotherapy, or even lifestyle changes are indicated. Best of luck, I hope this answer is of some assistance.
sopsych
sopsych, Therapist
well i sorrry for wastibg ut time an my money..i guess i thought this was a place to narrow down what options would better suit.. the last professional wasnt of help and now i paid the help to tell me to go get help elsewhere.....sorry if sounds rude not my intention...but u really didby hep at all...your page should just say go get evaluated elswhere...thats the ethical thing to do...not juat takepeople who need helps money...thanks for your well..time....
I can only provide information and education here, not therapy or treatment. I would be happy to see you in person if that were do-able. I would like to be of more help but without a clear diagnosis and the ability to observe and speak with you, there is the danger of doing more harm than good. If you get evaluated, I think that it will be much easier for you to find appropriate help.
sopsych
sopsych
sopsych, Therapist