Anthony
Anthony, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Louisiana.
66368584

What are some misconceptions regarding psychology is that it

What are some misconceptions regarding psychology is that it deals only with the analysis and treatment of persons who either have been diagnosed with mental illness or are emotionally disturbed. Explain why this assumption is partially incorrect. To support your explanation, identify two subfields of psychology and describe in detail what they study.
Anthony :

Hi there, my name is***** a Licensed Professional Counselor with a master's in Psychology. Before I answer your question, can I ask what this is for? It seems as if you are trying to complete a homework assignment.

Best regards, ***** ***** remember, answers given on JustAnswer are information only and are not a substitution for professional counseling.

Customer:

It research for a class assignment.

Customer:

There were ten question and my group is having trouble answering this question.

Customer:

If you have a answer or information on this is would be great.

Anthony :

Thanks for the input, I'll be glad to help you with your answer. Now, I do work for a University, so I won't be providing an answer that you can copy and past word for word into your assignment, but can provide you with some insight into where to look and how to formulate a good answer to this question.

Anthony :

While psychology as a whole is often lumped into the diagnosis and treatment of individuals with mental disorders or emotional issues, it is the study of who we are as people and how we interact with others.

Customer:

thank you any input would be great.

Anthony :

As a counselor, one of my major roles is to teach my clients to understand how they are communicating with me, as it is likely that they are also communicating with others in the same manner.

Anthony :

With that said, an often over looked aspect of psychology is Industrial/Organizational psychology

Anthony :

this area of psychology uses developmental and communication theories to discern how people act within the work place, how organizations are structured, and how companies can reorganize themselves to be more productive.

Anthony :

While a comedic interpretation, the "Bob's" from the movie "Office Space" were essentially industrial/organizational psychologists, consultants brought in to evaluate the company's performance and assist the company in making adjustments to it's staffing to be more productive.

Anthony :

Developmental psychologists on the other hand, study the growth and development of humans from birth to death, not seeking to diagnosis emotional instability or mental illness, but instead to give researchers and clinicians a blueprint into the human condition

Anthony :

Erik Erikson was a famous psychologist who developed what many people consider to be the penultimate evaluation of human development, the psycho-social developmental stages

Anthony :

in each of these stages, Erikson describes challenges that people face that define their being. These challenges are not mental instabilities, but instead are issues that we all face at different points in life. One of the most famous being the "mid-life crisis" in which we are trying to make our life count by making up for missed opportunities or by leading the way for the future generation (our children).

Anthony :

Finally, utilizing both developmental and industrial/organizational concepts, psychological research can be used in everything from school assignment development, to product testing and consumer research by major organizations such as P&G or Johnson & Johnson (I actually have some former classmates of mine who work at researchers for these two companies with their Psychology background)

Anthony :

A full breakdown of what these psychologists do, how they are trained and how frequently they are hired can be found on the Bureau of Labor and Statistics' website, listed under the "Occupational Outlook Handbook."

Anthony :

does that help?

Customer:

Thank you for your input and the web site for more information.

Customer:

Yes it all helps with our research and understanding of this question.

Anthony :

Fantastic. Is there anything else that I can do for you today?

Customer:

no thank you again thank for your input.

Anthony :

Fantastic. Also, I thought I should add in my current role as an Academic Counselor. I work specifically with students to address career concerns and to help them navigate through the collegiate system, ensuring that they are meeting with protocols set forth by the University and assisting them with any guidance that they might require along the way. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to "Accept" it and have a great day! Anthony.