How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Heidi LPC Your Own Question
Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 278
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Heidi LPC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter is 18 and was diagnosised at the age of 11-12

Resolved Question:

My granddaughter is 18 and was diagnosised at the age of 11-12 with being manic depressed and bipolar. She started taking her meds off and on. She came to live with us 2 1/2 years ago for school reasons. She was doing fine taking her meds and now she just won't take them. She goes off at the least little thing, calling names and yelling and screaming and hitting her boyfriend all the time. She has agreed to see someone and get re-evaluated. I am not sure where to begin to help her. When she was taking her meds she said she feels better but she says she doesn't want to have to take meds to feel normal.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 5 years ago.
Hi! I am wondering if I can be of some assistance with your question. I am sorry you are struggling with your granddaughter... she is very lucky to have your support!! My best answer to you is this: Tell her that you understand that taking medication to feel "normal" may seem like an option to her, and yet ask her if she truly believes that she is behaving in a "normal" fashion without it? Give her some solid evidence of the things you are seeing and hearing, even keep a written log, and share with her the behavior you saw while she was on the medication vs. now. If she is absolutely being defiant and disrespectful to you, offer her the choice of getting back on it or seeing a therapist to work through her issues, but let her know that staying with you while behaving as she is will no longer be acceptable to you. There has to be a clear-cut boundary laid down for her that she has to accept help... or that there will have to be alternative living arrangements made. This is kind of a "tough love" approach, which may or may not feel comfortable to you... yet, the power balance must be realigned, and she may just be hoping that someone will take control of this situation for her. If you have any further information to share, or a follow-up question, please let me know! I will check back soon! Otherwise, I hope you found my answer somewhat helpful to you and I wish you the very best in getting her back on track to a healthy balance!
Heidi LPC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 5 years ago.
One more thought: If your question was more a search for where to begin to find a therapist, I would probably start with your family doctor for a physical to just be sure that her health is in order, and then ask for a referral to a psychiatrist/psychotherapist in your area to follow-up on the medication issue... you can also search online for a couple of different sites, or ,,, I wish you all the best!!

Related Mental Health Questions