Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have a very demanding & stressfull job. I'm constantly

Customer Question
worried about my role in...
I have a very demanding & stressfull job. I'm constantly worried about my role in the company i work for and under a lot of pressure by the cleints as well. overworked and really no one to turn to at work. i have a lot of anxiety every day and i find myself in tears almost every day. i have never had any prescription drugs given to me outside of a cold or flu. Im a 41 year old female new to this and would like to get more info, please advise if you can.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
4/23/2012
Mental Health Professional: MindMechanix, Mental Health Professional replied 5 years ago
MindMechanix
MindMechanix, Mental Health Professional
MindMechanix :

Hello. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I would like to help you as best I can.

MindMechanix :

Good evening

Customer:

i would appreciate the help, thank you for taking the time to speak with me

MindMechanix :

Not a problem at all, I hope i can offer you some relevant help. As I understand, you are having difficulty at your job. Can you tell me what it is you do for a living?

Customer:

I'm back in the Mortgage industry as a Home loan processor.

MindMechanix :

Do you know where your anxiety comes from most? I feel that under pressure and anxiety, most people over time who feel unsupported experience much of the same feeling you have. It helps to separate what feelings you have and where they are coming from.

Customer:

My anxiety comes from having too many home loans in my own pipeline.

Customer:

basicaly i'm responsible for 150+ loans every month.

Customer:

in my resonsibilities it is my job to communicate and realate information to every client in my pipeline as well as 4 or 5 other cliesnt withint the filed as well.

MindMechanix :

Wow, I understand how you feel. Is there a solution to your large workload that we may be able to explore or do you believe that nothing can change in terms of work/workload at this time?

Customer:

it is very overy whelming and the company i work for basicaly only cares about numbers and not employees.

Customer:

i have been in this industry for over 15 years. in 2007 the industry took a turn for the worst and left me unemployed and almost homeless.

Customer:

I finaly was able to get a job in another field and loved it for 3 years but then that job went away as well.

MindMechanix :

Your not the only one who feels that way. I get more and more patients in many different fields feeling the same way. So at this time, you are "stuck" working for these people, feel like you are over worked with no support, and have no choice because finding another job is extremely difficult... The good news is that there are answers for your anxiety. There are skill you can learn and use in order to cope with your anxiety and reduce your stress.

MindMechanix :

It must be difficult to go back after a three year hiatus, especially when you loved it.

Customer:

I was unemployed again and my husband help me get a job where he works at but it was back in the mortgage industry which has always been demanding

MindMechanix :

So it sounds like your husband is supportive and able to help you, but the outcome was less than a perfect answer

MindMechanix :

how is your support network outside of work? Family and friends? Do you have children? What is your life like outside of work?

MindMechanix :

All of those things are resources to help you to feel good, unwind, relax, vent, and seek comfort. That is of course if they are not adding to stress and anxiety.

Customer:

my husband is supportive to a degree, I mean i know he loves me and is there for me bu emotionaly he is drained himself from this company. I don't have any children, I take solace in my dogs

MindMechanix :

The first and most important thing you should know is that any solution is going to require you to do the work. Many people find deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation exercises helpful. It takes time to learn them and practice, and they are best when used with other skills as well. It is typically the first skills I teach when utilizing CBT to work with a patient. CBT is cognitive behavioral therapy. It works by changing the thinking patterns, which changes behaviors, which results on feeling better.

MindMechanix :

Dogs are wonderful! I am sure they give you comfort and unconditional love every day. And it sound like you and your husband have a lot in common, at least in how working at this company makes you feel. Do you get to spend time together often?

Customer:

trust me I have tried everything i know. again I'm 41 years old and have a pretty good life, not complaing too much but the last 6 or 7 years have been very stressfull and depressing.

MindMechanix :

6 or 7 years is a long time. I am sorry to hear it has been such a struggle. What type of solutions are you looking for now? What do you think would help you most right now?

Customer:

Me and my husband spend almost every minute togther, we carpool to the same job togther and come home at the same time together.

MindMechanix :

That sounds like it could be the best thing in the world for some people... or a source of stress for others. How do you see it?

Customer:

Thats the thing, I'm not sure what solutions are out there for me, what do you suggest?

Customer:

a little of both

MindMechanix :

Well, I always suggest to take care of yourself first. I don't know your financials, but there are plenty of options. Some people get a monthly or even weekly massage. Others cannot afford that luxury but are able to have a weekly massage night with their spouse for free instead. Hot showers and scented candles. Many people including myself find it helpful to come home from work and change the ambiance in the evening to candles and light meditation music of nature sounds and to spend a little time deep breathing and erasing the day so they can enjoy the night. It creates a separation so the days of work don't just run together. Walking and any physical exercise. Changing your diet even can help if you do not eat healthy.

MindMechanix :

I also highly recommend therapy. Not because something is broken but instead because you dont want to break. your under immense pressure. Seeing a professional in person allows them to explore your issues mush deeper and also to explore many more dimensions of the problem. You would feel a lot better just from having that 45 minutes of talking each week as a venting session. More skills could be taught and you would have better ways to cope.

Customer:

those are great sugeestion, only I have been doing just that for the past 6 or 7 years as well. My finances are not the problem I have money saved, my housing payment in low, me and my husband make good moeny and we do get messages once a month, and for the last 3 months every week.

MindMechanix :

Thats great to hear, except for that it is not helping make your situation any better.

Customer:

Not it isn't, hoping to find sopme answers here

MindMechanix :

Unfortunately, this is a hard question to answer over the internet. I truly feel the best answer at this point is therapy.

MindMechanix :

Have you ever tried it before?

Customer:

Ofcourse you do

Customer:

Thanks for time and I hope yopu didn't take out too many stundent loans for that advise you just gave

MindMechanix :

Why would you say that?

MindMechanix :

I am on line right now not for money but to try to help

Customer:

I'm sorry if i offended you but really therapy, at my age if you haven't had therapy god help all of us

MindMechanix :

I understand. Many people still feel a stigma with therapy. What upsets me is therapy didnt help

MindMechanix :

What I can say, without a doubt, is that there are answer to your problems. If the problem is work, the simple answer is find a new job. if you cant, the problem is more than just your job.

MindMechanix :

Start looking at all your problems and how they are related. Find the common area. Make small changes and see the impact. And of course, use your support system. Thats all I have for you in this venue. I am sorry I could not help more. I do hope things get better and wish you luck.

Customer:

realy thats all you have

Customer:

what a waste of time

Customer:

thanks for your time, nice to know some people can slepp at knight even when they should stay awake pondering the advise they just gave. How old are you?

Customer:

no respsone, typicall, meter maid

MindMechanix :

Im sorry your frustrated. And I am old enough to private practice and run the Quality Assurance dept of a behavioral health program successfully.

MindMechanix :

I wonder... would you tell me why you think nothing has helped you yet?

Customer:

honestly i'm not sure, i was hoping to get the answers here

Customer:

i can come across a little harsh, i don't mean to and if you know me in person you would know I'm not

Customer:

i find the internet to be impersonal

MindMechanix :

I understand, and again, I am sorry I did not have the answer. I am sure your quite frustrated. I find for me personally, it has become nothing less than balance that helps. Dr. Seuss said once, "Step with care and great tact, for life is a great big balancing act." Those words have never been so true. Buddhism helps me as well, and many of my coworkers and mentors subscribe to much of it.

Customer:

any response?

MindMechanix :

But no one things is always going to help. You need to have many ways to cope. And you and your husband should be working together- your in the same boat- dealing with the same evil company. And again, I do know what that is like because my wife and I both work together for the same hospital.

Customer:

really, this website is a crock of shit and if you think your a therapist, you are trully a dumbass

MindMechanix :

Wow. You log on and offer $11 to change your life. And you then act like this. I think were done here. Have a nice life, I feel sorry for you, truly. Please go in peace and I hope things work out.

Customer:

hope you enjoy the $22.00 i gave you for BS advice. you should be a telemarketer, wait maybe you where in the 80-, dumbass

Mental Health Professional: Dr. Olsen, Psychologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm so sorry to hear you.
It sounds like you have depression and anxiety due to your demanding & stressful job.
Symptoms of anxiety overlap those of depression.
First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause or contribute to your feelings of anxiety.
If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and anxiety.
You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.
Regarding pharmacological treatment for anxiety and depression, a number of antidepressant or antianxiety medications are available to treat depression.
Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.
Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for women in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including depression and anxiety.
Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.
Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and feel better.
Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
I hope you get well with all available help.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist