TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I think I have bipolar disorder and mild schizophrenia. How

I think I have bipolar disorder and mild schizophrenia. How can I get an expert to evaluate me?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Are you in treatment now? If so, are you seeing a psychiatrist, therapist or both?

When you mentioned feeling crazy, what kind of symptoms are you having?

Thank you,
Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think people put taps in my home to listen to me. I think my manager is out to personally destroy my reputation at work. I think people are watching me. I'm terrified when people I don't know want to hold my baby. I protect him to an extreme, which isn't healthy for him in the long run. I have mania, where I absolutely freak out, I spend tons of money to relieve myself from it, I tried to stop drinking only to pick up cigarettes again. I'm always fighting some sort of addiction. I definitely feel depressed a lot, but even on medication, I still have pretty significant ups and downs. I just want someone to take me seriously and not blow me off because I'm so well in control of my outward appearance. I am excellent at looking like nothing is wrong, like nothing phases me. I don't even cry at the emotional parts of movies. Sometimes I laugh at how stupid I think it is. My husband says I'm disconnected from emotion and I'm cold. He says he's never met anyone like me. He doesn't understand why I'm so paranoid and where my sudden anger and vengence comes from. I have anxiety through the roof right now. My husband recently tried to withhold the baby from me and I freaked out, called the cops, yet don't remember much of the situation at all. When I get really angry, I scream until I can calm down. I have had such a hard time lately becuase I like to spend a lot of time alone and with my beautiful baby, I can't be alone anymore. I am trying to make his life perfect, but I'm sacrificing too much of mine and now I'm having a hard time figuring out how to live and still function in a normal way.

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like a thorough evaluation would be helpful. The symptoms you describe do sounds like Schizophrenia and Bipolar, but they could fit other diagnosis as well.

It could be that your medications are not appropriate for your symptoms. Medications are great if they target certain symptoms, but if they are ta***** ***** term or they are meant for other diagnosis, then they will not work.

Also, you may need a change in your medication. Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication.

If you are not in therapy already, it is important that you find a therapist to help you. A therapist will do a full evaluation the first time you are seen (you may already be aware of this if you have had prior treatment). To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/. You can also contact the local United Way in your area for low cost/no cost therapy in your area.

You can also learn more about Bipolar and Schizophrenia through self help. The more you know, the better equipped you will be to address your symptoms and treatment. Here are some resources for you:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/schizophrenia/DS00196

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/the-differences-between-bipolar-disorder-schizophrenia-and-multiple-personality-disorder/all/1/

Also, you may want to consider support groups to help you feel less alone in your situation and to provide you with more resources. Here are some links to help you:

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=support_findsupport

www.nami.org

It is a very good sign that you are reaching out for help. Motivation is key to recovering. Once you are motivated to get help, it is highly likely that you will get better.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate