Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have an acute fear of doctors, so much so, that i have not

Customer Question
been to see one in...
i have an acute fear of doctors, so much so, that i have not been to see one in over 12 years. My past is riddled with abuse and incidents of neglect and i find it very difficult to trust anyone. On the eve of my now 40th birthday i realize that life is too short to keep living in fear and i need coping mechanisms to help me get over my fears and all the the incidents of abuse that i have never sought therapy for. What suggestions do you have for me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/17/2012
Mental Health Professional: David Akiva, BA, MA, replied 5 years ago
David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
DuddyH :

Welcome, I'm a professional counselor and behavioral-consultant. I'd like to chat with you for a few moments to better understand your question and the situation you're describing.

Customer:

hello

DuddyH :

Hi. Are you able to chat right now?

Customer:

yes

DuddyH :

Great thank you.

DuddyH :

I'd like to start by suggesting that you get therapy. A good place to start would be cognitive behavioral therapy. Here is a great overview of "CBT": http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/MY00194

DuddyH :

What are your thoughts?

Customer:

i agree but i do have some reluctance when it comes to being forced into medication, barring that, i am more than willing to seek help. i realize that these issues cannot be solved over night

DuddyH :

Very true. And I'm not suggesting medications in anyway. I'm suggesting a science proven therapy approach that helps you to really learn how to cope and learn new ways of thinking and interacting with people. This includes CBT interventions for past trauma.

Customer:

i am willing to do that work

DuddyH :

I would imagine that one of the fist issues you'd address in CBT would be the fear of working with a therapist. One of the highly practical strategies they teach is learning how to quickly and deeply relax yourself emotionally through relaxation training....

Customer:

meditation or hypnosis?

DuddyH :

Here is a great resource you can explore for practicing relaxation. It can be so helpful for people who have survived and are recovering from trauma, even serious PTSD:

DuddyH :

It's not flashy site but the videos and audio training segments are very effective and based on the best research.

Customer:

thank you

DuddyH :

You're welcome.

Customer:

i occasionally have flashbacks, will the techniques help with those things?

DuddyH :

As far as abuse, neglect etc, goes, there are some amazing CBT strategies they teach for learning to manage memories and problems coping in the present.

DuddyH :

Yes, CBT with some one who specializes in trauma etc would be wonderful for you I think.

DuddyH :

Do you have insurance coverage? Are you currently working?

Customer:

i am working and i live in Canada, i don't have private insurance, so this will have to come out of my own pocket. i am hoping that it won't be too outrageously expensive

Customer:

OHIP only pays for Psychiatry

DuddyH :

Do you have an EAP program at work?

Customer:

it is my own business and no i don't, i am a freelance bookkeeper, i do well enough to afford therapy once a week, how much more i might need i have no idea at this point

DuddyH :

Ok. I thought I'd ask because EAP programs provide free therapy and most employees don't even know it.

DuddyH :

I'm just researching for you online and I think Trauma Focused CBT for Adults would be a really good place for you to start...

DuddyH :

Would like me to try and help you find a therapist in your area?

Customer:

yes, please, i live in Toronto, Canada

Customer:

i could give you my postal code

Customer:

if it helps

DuddyH :

Well let me look first...I'll be back in a few moments. It's great you're in such a big city, as far as there being many CBT therapists there.....

Customer:

thank you

DuddyH :

Actually may I have your postal code?

Customer:

M8Y 2G1

DuddyH :

Thank you...

Customer:

your welcome

DuddyH :

Ok I found a good site to locate CBT therapists who specialize in Trauma and PTSD. Here is a very good list: http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1334708178.889_16426&city=Toronto&state=ON&spec=19&trtmnt_orient=1&lmore=-2

Customer:

oh wow, thank you

DuddyH :

The postal code list ends at M6..

DuddyH :

No problem. Can I help you with any other questions here today?

Customer:

actually no, you have helped me beyond what i expected

Customer:

thank you

DuddyH :

Ok, well I'll release this question for payment. Please press the Green Accept Button.

DuddyH :

I wish you the very best. Take care.

David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
David Akiva
David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,