How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have suffered from depression since childhood. I am now

Customer Question

I have suffered from depression since childhood. I am now 50. Despite years of therapy and medication I still have significant depression. Is this simply something I have to accept as part of my personality?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I just asked some follow up questions in the other question thread you have open that was directed specifically to me. I'll paste in my follow up questions here as well:

You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Your question is very evocative that there is so much behind the simple few words you write. You've had depression for so long. Three possibilities: you have treatment resistant depression, you need to consider other treatments such as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), or you may have an underlying disorder that hasn't been treatment and depression may be just part of that disorder.

Was there trauma or abuse in your childhood? What about alcohol or dysfunction in your family when you were growing up?

Are you interested in ECT?

Are you getting any psychotherapy treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?

If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I answered this question in your other question thread. I see this thread is still open. You can contact customer service and ask for your deposit to be refunded. If you are not going to ask for the refund, I would be grateful if you press ACCEPT as that is how they credit me here. All the best, ***** *****