MARoss-LCSW
MARoss-LCSW, Therapist
Experience:  18 years experience as a therapist/counselor.
63071365

Patient has a definite preoccupation with sex, and

patient has a definite preoccupation with sex, and constantly discusses past sexual encounters, is this a common thing? Any treatment available for this particular situation?thanx, sue pait. wife of patient.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MARoss-LCSW replied 5 years ago.
MARoss-LCSW :

Hi, I'm happy to try to help you. I need to ask you some questions to try to understand your situation better.

MARoss-LCSW :

How long has this been going on?

Customer:

started Jan 18, 2012

MARoss-LCSW :

And your husband is 71? I'm looking at the optional info provided.

Customer:

yes, that is correct.

MARoss-LCSW :

What if any medical problems does he have or what has he been diagnosed with?

Customer:

he had a stroke in 2009, has high blood pressure, heavy smoker, also has Alzheimers dementia

MARoss-LCSW :

Ah hah! :)) I was thinking it might be due to possible Alzheimers? Has he been given medication for his behavioral/psychological issues related to the Alzheimers?

MARoss-LCSW :

Unfortunately, people with Alzheimers often act out in inappropriate ways including being sexually preoccupied. They can also be paranoid, have hallucinations, be verbally and physically abusive.

Customer:

yes, he takes a number of meds, is being seen by our family doc, psychiatrist, cardiologist, and a neurologist. this weekend has been particularity tough. He told me that he had sex20 years ago with a neighbor, who is now deceased. why tell me now?

Customer:

This is especially heart breaking as I have never even dreamed that he would do such a thing. we will have our 50th wedding anniversary in May of this year. I am extremely upset over this.

MARoss-LCSW :

What he told you may not in fact be true so please remember that as obviously this is very upsetting info for you. Dementia patients are often delusional. There really isn't any treatment for these behaviors associated with dementia other than psychiatric meds to try to control the behavior.

MARoss-LCSW :

Do you have any help with him at home from family or friends or caregivers?

Customer:

yes, I have a strong support system, 2 home health aides take turns coming here every nite, my son is available during the day. My daughter is n RN< Emergency nurse, ----he has said other things of this sort to me, but somehow, I'm having difficulty letting this one go.

MARoss-LCSW :

That would be understandable that this would be so upsetting but I must STRESS that things often said in this situation are often untrue. Does he have other difficult behaviors or is abusive to you and others in any way?

Customer:

no abusive behavior, is cooperative, etc. I guess that this is part of the package. thanx, for your help.

MARoss-LCSW :

You are welcome. You might want to get some therapy for yourself or go to a caregiver support group if you're not already doing that.

MARoss-LCSW :

Please click the accept button if I've helped you and give feedback if you feel ok doing that. Good luck!