How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I line up affordable mental health care for a 23 year

Customer Question

How do I line up affordable mental health care for a 23 year old who just moved to the NYC area? She is depressed, emotionally labile. She has had several crises over the years but is finally admitting she needs help. Possibly is bipolar, needs cognitive therapy and supervision with some sort of mood stabilizer by a reputable person. I am RN, husband is MD
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Self pay in NYC is not going to be affordable by Denver standards (where I live). I just worked with a family in Brooklyn who needed help for a family member and affordable meant getting into the state health system, the Medicaid system. That meant public clinics and hospitals. Is this something she would work within?

She would also need to be a resident. Is this the case?

If she's not a resident, she's limited to emergency treatment. Is she willing to do that?

If not, is she willing to go to a religious congregation and try to get them to sponsor her health care? She would have to make a case that she is from that religion/denomination.

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I felt a little uncomfortable with all of the questions asked initially on this site, asking me my income, etc. It makes me suspicious of where this information is going. It is difficult to deal with her emotional instability and she is living very far away from us now. She would not stick with anything we tried with her in the past. She is bright and very attractive but emotionally unpredictable. She is already wanting to move back because she is having trouble dealing with the dog eat dog world in NY

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is in a new position that is entry level, no benefits. I am helping her with her rent for a few months. She would not go into a state system, and I am sure would not feel comfortable telling her coworkers. She needs a mood stabilizer and cognitive therapy with someone monitoring her medicines and keeping the medication level titrated to the minimum amount needed for her to feel better.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the replies to the questions and the added information. It helps a lot.

I'm sorry that I implied I needed information about you. What I wanted to know was whether SHE has resources to pay for a psychiatrist and psychologist/psychotherapist. It is true that if you are her guardians you will indeed need to give information to the state and county agencies about yourselves for her to receive aid.

But it sounds as though she doesn't want to be in the public care system. If so, and she doesn't have insurance, she will have to negotiate with doctors and therapists on her own. I'll therefore give you two resources for that she might be able to get help from on how to proceed:

First, there is Dr. Shirley Schaye in Manhattan.(###) ###-#### She has been a colleague here at JustAnswer for a long time and I think she's terrific. She may be able to refer her to someone, perhaps someone who's doing supervised practice and would take a very reduced fee. Tell her Dr. Mark at JustAnswer recommended you contact her.

Second, here is the web address for Psychology Today's therapist directory. You can sort by zip codes and when you see someone who seems like they might be helpful (they show you a photo of the therapist!) look at the listing and see if they list sliding fees in their listing. Interview the therapist and make sure he/she shares your values and you each feel confident in him or her.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. You are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you