Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

I think i am close to having a melt-down. since the end of

i think i am close to having a melt-down. since the end of may 2011 i have been working for a company. i got the job via school, i did a 15 month diesel course. when i started the job my boss gave me more money that i asked for. i was looking for 18-20 per hour, he gave me 22. then i got bumped up to 24. then i got bumped up to 26. all and all i have done well considering the experience i have. over time it has gotten to the point that my boss is constantly on my case micromanaging, its like him and his son want me to be a muppet. his son has even attempted to micromanage me to what where incorrect diagnoses. i love the thinking aspect of being a mechanic, this micromanaging is making me hate my job. my boss and his sons getting on my case is making me loathe them. my boss even throws the money he pays me at my face (i didnt ask for those raises). i even think of being violent towards them, it scares me,i dont want to hurt anyone or go to jail, i love life and just want to be happy and have enough money to live. i dont think that is an unreasonable request in life. i think i should leave, so does my girlfriend. everyone else tells me to just suck it up. i am getting valuable experience but its not worth it in my opinion if that experience takes such a tool on my self esteem and causes me depression and anxiety. am i being unreasonable here? i dont think i am. i honestly think rutheless people like my boss can break down just about anyone. thanks p
Hey there,

At some your point quality of life is worth a lot more than any money or experience you are getting at this job, and perhaps you are at that point now. It sounds like an extremely stressful and difficult situation to be in a job you may otherwise enjoy, but to be micromanaged to the point of where it's causing you depression and anxiety. I'm not sure if there is some middle road between staying in this bad situation and quitting, where perhaps you could discuss your concerned with your boss and his son in the hopes of getting them to back off a little bit. However, if you're feeling like you've reached the end of the road with this position and your boss is going to be ruthless no matter what, I think it's important to listen to your instincts, and if it doesn't feel right, it's probably not right for you.

Unfortunately not everyone may understand why you need to leave this job, and some people think that the answer is always to tough it out no matter how miserable you are. Because of that, it's good to hear that you have your girlfriend's support. At the end of the day, you should be able to live your life the way you want, and if you are unhappy, it is certainly appropriate to take steps in a direction that would make you happy. Of course I would caution you about making any impulsive decisions that you haven't thought completely through, however it sounds like you have given this a lot of thought, and it certainly doesn't sound like you are being unreasonable.

I'm sorry to hear about what you've been going through but I certainly wish you the best of luck in getting out of this bad situation. If there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks ryan. the best thing for me to do probably would be to suck it up until i find another job? the writing really has been on the wall all along. this company has a very high turnover rate, i wonder why? thanks for your input, it really helped me out to vent.
Paul
Hey Paul, I'm glad I could help. You're probably right about the reasons behind the high turnover rate. Depending on the financial situation you're in, you may not have too many options other than to make the best of it until you can line up another job. However if the job market is decent for your line of work, or if you can afford to take a little time off while you find another job, it may be a big relief to just get out of there. Either way, making the decision to get out of there at least gives you a light at the end of the tunnel if you're otherwise having a tough time working there day in and day out. Best of luck.