How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ryan LCSW Your Own Question
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ryan LCSW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, 45 years old, is a CPA, has worked for a large company

Resolved Question:

My son, 45 years old, is a CPA, has worked for a large company for 20 years in Boise, ID and for reasons unknown to me, quit showing up for work, quit his job and told me he can no longer handle people. For the past 10 months he just stays in the house only to venture out to get groceries. He is also a single father and his last son that he is raising is a senior in high school. His ex-wife is always in and out of trouble. We do not live in the same town but me and my wife, his parents, are going through Boise in about a month. He understands that he has a personality disorder.

My question, should I make an appointment with a Psychiatrist and than try my best when I get to Boise to try and convince him to make it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 5 years ago.
Hey there,

I can certainly understand your concern for your son. Considering the drastic change in his personality and the difficulties he's been having over the past 10 months it would certainly be in his best interest to have a professional evaluation of his situation. It is good that he understands that he has a problem, and the more receptive he is to help, the more reasons there are to be optimistic about him getting back on his feet again. In addition to him meeting with a psychiatrist, it would also be very beneficial for him to have ongoing counseling sessions with a therapist in order to help him with his own coping skills. Sometimes psychiatrists will also do this, but many psychiatrist only diagnose and make medication recommendations, so it will be important for your son's success that he also has some ongoing therapy.

It can be tough to convince someone to get professional help, and if you are open to going with him to the first appointment that may help to ease some of your son's anxiety about it. I definitely wish you the best and respect the fact that you are trying to help your son to cope with all of this. If there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

. How do I go about finding a qualified psychiatrist and therapist in Boise while in Arizona? Do you have any recommendations? Is a psychiatrist the profession I am looking for when we are looking for a personality disorder or a different expert?


Thanks Joe

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 5 years ago.
Hi Joe,

I would personally recommend a psychological evaluation. This way they would be able to diagnose the problem, offer him the necessary ongoing support, and make medication recommendations if necessary.

There's a pretty good website called that will allow you to find someone in the Boise area, and also read other client's reviews of their services.

Here is a link to Psychologists in the Boise, ID

and I'll include one to Psychiatrists in Boise too.

If your son has insurance, you can also filter the results by the type of insurance as well.

Let me know if you have any trouble navigating the website and good luck with everything.

All the best,

Ryan LCSW and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions