Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son, 45 years old, is a CPA, has worked for a large

Customer Question
company for 20 years in...
My son, 45 years old, is a CPA, has worked for a large company for 20 years in Boise, ID and for reasons unknown to me, quit showing up for work, quit his job and told me he can no longer handle people. For the past 10 months he just stays in the house only to venture out to get groceries. He is also a single father and his last son that he is raising is a senior in high school. His ex-wife is always in and out of trouble. We do not live in the same town but me and my wife, his parents, are going through Boise in about a month. He understands that he has a personality disorder.
My question, should I make an appointment with a Psychiatrist and than try my best when I get to Boise to try and convince him to make it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
4/1/2012
Mental Health Professional: Ryan LCSW, Mental Health replied 5 years ago
Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Hey there,

I can certainly understand your concern for your son. Considering the drastic change in his personality and the difficulties he's been having over the past 10 months it would certainly be in his best interest to have a professional evaluation of his situation. It is good that he understands that he has a problem, and the more receptive he is to help, the more reasons there are to be optimistic about him getting back on his feet again. In addition to him meeting with a psychiatrist, it would also be very beneficial for him to have ongoing counseling sessions with a therapist in order to help him with his own coping skills. Sometimes psychiatrists will also do this, but many psychiatrist only diagnose and make medication recommendations, so it will be important for your son's success that he also has some ongoing therapy.

It can be tough to convince someone to get professional help, and if you are open to going with him to the first appointment that may help to ease some of your son's anxiety about it. I definitely wish you the best and respect the fact that you are trying to help your son to cope with all of this. If there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan

. How do I go about finding a qualified psychiatrist and therapist in Boise while in Arizona? Do you have any recommendations? Is a psychiatrist the profession I am looking for when we are looking for a personality disorder or a different expert?

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe,

I would personally recommend a psychological evaluation. This way they would be able to diagnose the problem, offer him the necessary ongoing support, and make medication recommendations if necessary.

There's a pretty good website called www.healthgrades.com that will allow you to find someone in the Boise area, and also read other client's reviews of their services.

Here is a link to Psychologists in the Boise, ID

and I'll include one to Psychiatrists in Boise too.

If your son has insurance, you can also filter the results by the type of insurance as well.

Let me know if you have any trouble navigating the website and good luck with everything.

All the best,

Ryan
Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health