How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dr. Nyquist put me on Xanax 27 years. Now the law says I

Resolved Question:

Dr. Nyquist put me on Xanax 27 years . Now the law says I can't get them. What do I do.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I have never heard of a law that prohibits a doctor from giving his patient a medication that they have been taking for a long time. That should be between you and your doctor.

Xanaz (alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine and is used for anxiety and panic attacks (a form of anxiety). It is not a medicie that you can quit abruptly without the possibility of having terrible side effects. If you have to quit, it can only be done very slowly over several months.

There are other benzodiazepines that will work almost as well. You tried one (you said colapan and I think you meant Klonopin (clonazepam). That can help with anxiety as can Ativan (lorazepam) or Valium (diazepam).

You should be able to continue on Xanax. I know of no law that would prevent you from having a legal prescription for it and talking it, as before.

If you cannot get satisfaction from this doctor, then find one that will help you, by all means.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you