How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mid sixties. Husband has prostrate cancer surgery two years

Resolved Question:

Mid sixties. Husband has prostrate cancer surgery two years ago. Everything was supposedly left intact, however, he has difficultiy with erection. He is embarassed and avoids any and all sexual contact. Barely can get a hug or kiss Lonely wife
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You two are a prime candidate for therapy with a certified sex therapist. This would be a licensed counselor or psychologist who also is certified as a sex therapist.

Your husband feels as if he has lost his manhood and is suffering from depression as a result of his situation. It is classified as an Adjustment Disorder.

Before you go to a therapist, you may want to try a drug for erectile dysfuction (ED). His doctor can prescribe one of three commonly used medications, all similar in that they increase the blood flow to the penis (which is what makes the penis erect). These drugs are Viagra, Cialis, or Levitra and his physician will be glad to dispense a prescription or even give free samples, if available.

The doctor may also check your husband's testosterone levels to see if he needs any testosterone shots. Chances are the medication will solve the problem. If not, some supplemental counseling can help.

Your chances of ending your "loneliness" are ecellent if you can get your husand to face the situation and deal with it. It can be fixed.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you