How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARoss-LCSW Your Own Question
MARoss-LCSW, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 15
Experience:  18 years experience as a therapist/counselor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
MARoss-LCSW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is 53yrs old has been using perscription drugs

Resolved Question:

My sister is 53yrs old has been using perscription drugs loritab, xanex,vicodin diet pills she was a registered nurse for almost 15yrs in ER Triage. She goes to a Dr. and they give her any medication she wants. She has been using for about 12 yrs she lost her nursing license. Her son was in a car wreck and was killed about 5yrs ago and she has really hit bottom. She is married and her husband does not know what to do I live in Texas they live in Oklahoma it is like she is a functioning addict she reminds me so much of Whitney Houston. I want to help her but I do not know what to do she says she does not have a problem when we confront her she manipulates and turns it all on us. She is driving while high and has ran off the road into a ditch I just want to know that I have tried and done everything possible to save her life.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MARoss-LCSW replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'm happy to try to help you. I'm sorry your family is going through this. Unfortunately, what the drug rehabs in OK told you is true. If an addict doesn't think they have a problem, and they don't want help, there is nothing much you can do. You can try what is called an intervention, when you and other family members or friends meet with her and all tell how they feel and try to convince her to get help. Her husband enabling her does not help matters. If he were to stop that, give her an ultimatum-possibly say he will leave, that might work. You could report her to the DMV regarding the driving under the influence. You can help yourself by going to Al-Anon, 12 step for family and friends of people who are using.

MARoss-LCSW and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  MARoss-LCSW replied 5 years ago.
Just checking in on how you and your sister are doing since we chatted about her situation.
How are you doing? If you have other questions, feel free to ask!
Melanie Ross LCSW