Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Dear sirs: i have been taking triavil for over 30 years.i

Customer Question
dear sirs: i have been taking...
dear sirs:
i have been taking triavil for over 30 years.i stopped taking it back about middle of jan.2012. because of side effect of craving sweets.could i still be having headaches and dizziness on the 26 of march 2012.
thank you,don
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/27/2012
Mental Health Professional: Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist replied 5 years ago
Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist

Hi Don,

This simple answer is that it could. Triavil is one of the older generation drugs and thus, has more side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

First, let me say that I hope you decreased the drug gradually with a doctor's supervision, as it isn't recommended that one go off the drug suddenly - especially after long term treatment. Either way, the withdrawal effects of Triavil can last a while because the drug does several things.

1) The Amitriptyline component to this combination drug blocks transporters for the chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine, increasing their levels in the brain. It takes a while for this to happen. While your neurotransmitters are regulating themselves down again you could experience "brain zaps," dizziness, fatigue, headaches etc. This can occur for weeks or months (especially as our chemistry changes as we age).

2) The Perphenazine component to the drug blocks dopamine and alpha-adrenergic receptors in the brain and decreases the release of hormones from the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. Whenever dopamine is involved, so are cravings. For instance, some people stop or start smoking (nicotine breifly increases dopamine) and other people might eat or crave sweets (which is a milder version of the same thing). This can last for a while too!

So it could definitely be the cessation of the Triavil that's causing these things. However, if it gets too bad and interferes with your daily life too much, you might want to consider calling your doc again to make sure.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any further questions. (Also, I know I'm not a "sir" - I hope this is okay - I liked your greeting - it was polite and charming!)

Take care,

Dr. G.

Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist