Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

I am 44 year old male. I've been married for 16+ years. We

I am 44 year old male. I've been married for 16+ years. We have two children. In the past year+ i'm having more and more trouble reaching orgasm during sex. It takes so long (20-30 minutes) that sometimes i forgo orgasm or even sex altogether.
My wife thinks it's an erectile problem (partly because i sometimes lose the erection just because it takes so long and stressing me out). To me (i am trying to be objective) it seems like the erection is the same as ever and that it's a lost sensitivity issue.
We've tried different positions. Doggy seems to work best but can be uncomfortable for her.
I've gone to see my GP. He tested my hormone and thyroid levels. All is normal. Said i should go to a sex therapist - and here i am.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 5 years ago.
Okay, well first off, it's good that your thyroid and hormone levels were checked. Those are some of the main culprits. However, there are other reasons for loss of sensation that include cardiovascular or nerve impairment, medications, and even bike riding (this is believed to be associated with the pressure that is placed on perineum while bike riding, which can reduce sensitivity). Therefore, before I would assume that the difficulty is psychological, I would want you to see a neurologist to rule out nerve damage and/or medication interactions that would interfere with the nerve function. It's very important to rule out absolutely all physical causes first - and from what you are describing, it sounds more like it could be a nerve problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i take no medication.
My BMI is 22.3 and i'm in ok shape. I do ride a bike for commuting but that's only about 20-25 minutes per day total.
I run 35 minutes once a week.

Okay- well, no medication is good, however, the bike riding and/or other things could have caused damage over time. The only way to know for sure is to go to a neurologist. I would definitely recommend doing this before proceeding with a sex therapist.

Other ideas - supplementation with DHEA (health food stores) can help with sexual issues.

Finally, studies have shown that even moderate bike riding (e.g. commuting) can result in arterial blockage over time, leading to ED. Just FYI.

I hope this helps a little!

Thanks,

Dr. G.