Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am suffering from another spell of depression. I am doing

Customer Question
I am suffering from another...
I am suffering from another spell of depression. I am doing all I can to help myself ie: meditation, exercise but they are not working for me. I don't know what to do next? I am unable to control my negative mind. Please advise. Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/6/2012
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist replied 5 years ago
TherapistMarryAnn

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Have you been diagnosed with depression by a therapist or psychiatrist? And if so, what type of depression did they diagnose you with? Are you in therapy now?

You mentioned that you have had spells of depression before. Are you on medication?

Thank you,
Kate

I have not be diagnosed. I am not on medication. I have done therapy in the past but can't afford it now. I have tried to treat myself via self development /meditation and excercise. I know what makes me tick... I understand why I am the way I am but I can't control my thoughts. I feel useless, and I have run out of things to try.

My home life is good, loving husband and daughter.

My father was absent in my early years and then an achololic and my mother is always in child ego state and a poor inconsistant parent.

Hope this helps you to get a picture.

It does help me see where you are now. Thank you.

The best way to address your depression without therapy is to learn what you can about how you feel and seek out support to help you cope.

If you have had depression for a while and understand yourself well enough to know what works for you, then you might benefit from learning all you can about depression so you can pick and choose what will help you. The more you know, the better you can help yourself. Here are some resources that may help you:

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs by Stephen S. Ilardi

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by J. Mark G. Williams, Zindel V. Segal and John D. Teasdale

Support and self help are vital in helping you overcome depression. Consider support groups, either on line or in person. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as you are can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help you feel better. Here are resources to help you get started:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Depression/Support_Groups/

http://depression.supportgroups.com/

http://www.nami.org/

Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help.

Also, practice thought stopping. If you feel that your negative thoughts are overwhelming, then keep a journal about what you are thinking and when. Add thoughts that are positive as well. Then as you begin to notice the pattern of your negative thoughts, try saying STOP to yourself. As you do this, replace the negative thought with one of the positive ones you wrote down. It may take a little practice but you will get into the habit of doing this and be able to stop your negative thinking anytime you wish to.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist