How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr-A-Greene Your Own Question
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 309
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr-A-Greene is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 12 year old son who is displaying severe

This answer was rated:

We have a 12 year old son who is displaying severe behavioural disorder.
He does not listen to any instructions given by his parents and is violent towards
his mother and ten minutes later is looking for affection from his mother. He becomes very angry and believes everyone is against him.
He performs very well at school but does not want to do homework at home. He constantly comments to his mother " I will make you crazy"
Is this behaviour that requires assessment from a specialist? Your comments will be appreciated.
In my opinion, yes - it would be beneficial to take him to a child psychologist. His behavior doesn't sound like its responding to the usual behavioral interventions. Also, given that these issues are not displayed at school, there may be something more complex going on.
Dr-A-Greene and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Good luck to you - if you end up seeing a psychologist, if you could bring a list of symptoms or recorded behaviors with you, it might help. Thanks and best wishes!

Related Mental Health Questions