Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been given an SPSI-R:S test by my Mental Hospital

Assessor. I have come out...
I have been given an SPSI-R:S test by my Mental Hospital Assessor. I have come out with high scores (17/20)for Impulsivity Carelessness and high scores (16/20) for Avoidance this is to do with problem solving. Do you know of these tests. I have said that I am not suicidal, but accepted that if I was in a vulnerable position like on a high building I would be grasping that building and my mind would be suggesting jumping and I had an anger surge I could well jump. My being referred to the Mental Hospital was due to a depression and Anger Surges. What most likely will my P Doctor do
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2012
Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist

The SPSI-R stands for the Social Problem Solving Inventory-Revised. The SPSI-R helps a clinician determine an individual's problem-solving strengths and weaknesses so that deficits can be addressed and treatment progress can be tracked. Your scores indicate (in part) that you tend to avoid problem solving, or to make impulsive decisions when it comes to solving problems. These scores will likely help your treatment provider come up with a treatment plan that is specific to you.

You mentioned that you are already on Prozac (fluoxetine) and this is a start. However, your psychiatrist may add another medication to assist in controlling the anger surges/impulsivity. Sometimes mood stabilizers are used for this. In addition, your psychologist may try to add some cognitive behavioral type approaches to assist in your depression.

As for your thoughts when it comes to being on top of a tall building (as an example) - these automatic thoughts occur to many people, actually. So it isn't outside of the realm of being somewhat normal. That being said, you might want to discuss it with your treatment provider as an example of some of the impulsivity that you feel. It's a good illustration.

Does this answer your question?

In the main you have answered my question well, thank you. I actually wanted to be admitted. My negative problem solving was also high. The Doctor who is assessing me currently is talking about going back to my childhood to ascertain source of Anger etc. I have given him 8 pages of Trauma's and Mental Healthy problems. If I had gone for referral 20 - 30 years ago I think I would have been admitted, then Transvestism, Gambling and substance abuse were prevalent, but not now. Hoe useful will he find my history, it go's back to 2 1/2 years old with my first trauma at 4 and my first skirmish with Mental Authorities also at 4 years old. Do these additions make any difference to your answer.
No, I think that this is exactly the correct thing. He is going back to try to find the source of some of the anger and he has given you a test to see how that anger and trauma are affecting your decision-making now. Your therapist sounds great, actually! He is attempting to fuse the past and the present to come up with the best treatment plan. Additionally, it sounds like you are more than doing your part in being forthcoming and helpful. Basically, I think it sounds like a good partnership in the making. I wish you the best of luck with it and see good things in your future, should you stick with it!
Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene
Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist