How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Your Own Question
Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2177
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Michael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dr., Well my Husband's ex-wife's reaction to his letter

Resolved Question:

Hi again Dr. Michael,
Well my Husband's ex-wife's reaction to his letter suggesting psychological evaluations was pretty much as you predicted. She hired her 4th Lawyer in 4 months, and filed 5 sham motions against my husband stating he's the crazy one. One of the Motions is for an Appointment of a Guardian Ad Litem to monitor my husband's behavior with their daughter. Is that a Parenting Coordinator? If so, I find this interesting since his ex won't allow him to have time-sharing at his home. Where is he supposed to be observed? My husband is going to file motions to strike the sham pleadings also a motion for contempt. These motions are more concerned about my husband paying for her Lawyer and bogus services than their daughter. Some of the motions don't even mention their daughter.
My husband's ex is definitely projecting her actions onto my husband. One of our biggest concerns is she is accusing my husband of continuously leaving their daughter unattended. That has never been the case which makes us believe she leaves her unattended.
The Legal expert I have been in contact with has suggested filing a motion to be heard at the same time as the contempt motion to enforce my husband's proposed parenting plan until such time psycholgical evaluations have been completed.
My husband's ex is definitely running scared, and my husband has the upper hand. All this craziness has made my husband more determined than ever to fight back for his daughter. Any ideas of what her next moves will be when she realizes my husband is not giving up? Any other suggestions?
This really is crazy. I think she belongs to the Lawyer of the Month Club.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

I think you are doing just fine with the management of this. More pressure to exert---I would follow through with the legal pressures, force her to produce evidence that your daughter is being left alone, continue to press for BOTH of them to have a psychological evaluation. She will make some obvious blunders due to stress, (more false accusations without evidence to back them up, more legal diversions); and she'll also be increasingly prone to act thoughtlessly/impulsively due to fact that she has a personality disorder----especially when feels particularly anxious or panicked. Forcing the psychological assessment issue at this point is a good idea for example---it should be one key point that will cause her greatest worry and threat. I'd push this point hard.

THEN............once you do this, I'd maybe ask your attorney if he/she could somehow have a chat with her attorney and partially lay out your cards i.e., she has no evidence of the allegations, you don't think the psychological evaluation will do anything be present her in a worse light than your husband---they'd lay out the high probability of losing. Then, maybe a recommendation or point of compromise about her giving up custody and moving toward visitation, mutual agreement to drop all of the civil complaints against one another, etc. So my thought would be-----more pressure and stress exerted, then an attempt to persuade her attorney to persuade her to change course dramatically.

What do you think?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The problem is that my husband is Pro Se and does not have an Attorney representing him. We have sought advice of a "Just Answer" Legal expert who has been extremely helpful. We have utilized my six years of experience in dealing with my legal mess to write motions etc...I think this is why she continues to hire Attorneys in hopes that they will trip up my husband. The funny thing is it appears that my husband is more competent than her attorneys. Even more interesting is that she is a Family Law Attorney herself!

I totally agree with you about exerting pressure and stress. He is backing her up against a wall where she will either be forced to go to court and possibly be ordered to have a psychiatric evaluation or as you stated could change course drastically and settle with my husband by allowing him to be the Residential Parent.

Thank you so much for your advice. It appears we are on the right course which keeps us motivated.

Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 5 years ago.
Another approach you can take is to continue to exert more pressure on her as we've discussed, and then invite her to a meeting with a licensed or certified mediator. You and your husband could jointly lay out your case to her in front of a mediator and tell her you'd like to offer her an 'out', because you want to give her an out and don't want to do extensive legal and professional damage to her, because she is after all the mother of the child you are jointly responsible for.

Let me know if I can be of further help. Please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen. THANKS.
Dr. Michael and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you