How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5838
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have asked questions regarding my problems before, I dont

Resolved Question:

I have asked questions regarding my problems before, I dont know if you are able to access the answers. at the moment I have had my dosage of thyroxin increased and I am much clearer headed. My problem is that my phsychiatrist thinks I am deluded or have a phscosis about my sister who sadly passed away twenty years ago. My family are denying that she had depression too and are saying that my mother had to leave my sister to come and look after me, after which she dies of asthma on her own, she had a family but fir differing reasons none of them lived with her. in fact my mother phoned me to say she had to leave my sisters as my sisters doctor had asked her to. I cant go into it all of course, but I know I am telling the truth, can I be judged to be psychotic on this basis. I would like to be given the chance to grieve for my sister but am not being given the chance as I have been made to look pretty feeble and I cant help but keep objecting.
Thank You.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

I am sorry to hear about your sister. It is very understandable that you want your family and psychiatrist to hear and understand your thoughts and feelings about what happened to your sister. It can be upsetting when those around you do not offer the support you need, especially when it comes to the loss of someone so close to you like your sister.

Although it makes the grieving process easier when you have support, it is not necessary in order for you to grieve your sister. You can go through the process with support from other sources. If you are in a relationship, ask for your partner's support. Also, rely on support groups for bereavement, either on line or in person. Here are some resources that can help you get started:

As you work through your grief, it often helps to talk about your loved one and maybe even write a letter to them expressing your feelings about losing them. Expressing your feelings in other ways is important as well. Anger, crying, trouble sleeping and eventual acceptance are all part of the process.

You can also let your family and doctor know that although they do not agree with your version of your sister's death, you choose to believe it. It is how you feel and it is just as valid as their feelings about your sister's passing. When you express how you feel, be gentle yet firm. It shows your family and doctor that you believe what you say is important.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, I have already started to do somewhat what you say but I am worried that as I have been taken off one set of phsychotic pills because they caused my blood sugar pills to go higher and my phsychiatrist has more or les said that if I dont say i am deluded when I have come off them completely I will be put on others. I dont actually have anything todo with my family. I am married but as my husband was busy working when my mother came to live with us and was not really aware what was going on with my family. I should say I have a very happy marriage but my family have made people see me in a certain light. I am sorry if I am not explaining very well. Thank you
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

If you can, you may want to consider seeing a new psychiatrist. I noticed that you are in the UK and that might be difficult because of the system, but it might be worth it. No one can make you take medication you do not feel you need unless you are committed to the hospital on a 302, involuntary commitment. Your doctor telling you that you must take medication is still only his opinion. You may need to see another doctor for a second opinion.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Kate I have already considered telling my doctor I am not happy, as this particular phsychiatrist reduced me to 100 mg levothyroxine instead as 125 as he said it was causing my anxiety. My thyroid count wnet down very low and I felt much worse, but as you say I am in UK and dont know if I am entitled to ask for someone else. If you did know more about tis would be grateful to know. Are you based in USA I didnt really know that. Thank you.
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome! I am happy to help.

I'm not sure how the system works in the UK only that referrals can be complicated and take a while. But you may be able to get in sooner. It doesn't hurt to try. Check with your regular doctor about your medication/ thyroid count question (I'm sorry I can't help you there. That is more a doctor's territory) and see if you can't get on the list for a new psychiatrist.

JA is located here in the U.S., I believe in California, but we get questions from all over the world.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you