How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ryan LCSW Your Own Question
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ryan LCSW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is suffering from depression and has stopped

Resolved Question:

My husband is suffering from depression and has stopped taking anti-depressant medication. How do I go about getting him back on to the medication and more importantly how can I admit him for treatment without his permission. He is becoming more violent and irrational by the day, I'm very concerned that he will commit suicide.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 5 years ago.
Hey there,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about what you're going through with your husband. My understanding of the laws in Australia is that they are very similar to the laws in the US. In order for someone to be committed to treatment involuntarily, in that the police would have to be called due to him being considered a "threat to himself or others." They can then take him to a psychiatrist hospital where he will be evaluated for proper treatment, and hopefully get the help that he needs. Considering the situation that you've described, it sounds like your husband would fit the description of someone who would need to be involuntarily committed. I've attached a link to a wikipedia article on Australia's laws on involuntary commitment for you to review, just in case that would help you to clarify any details. You can get there by clicking here.

I certainly wish you the best of luck in dealing with this and hope that you are able to resolve it. If I can be of any more help just let me know.

Ryan LCSW and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you