Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

What's the recommended schedule for tapering off of celexa?

Customer Question
Was on for approximately 6...
What's the recommended schedule for tapering off of celexa? Was on for approximately 6 months to treat PostPartum Depression and want to stop prior to conceiving another baby.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/27/2012
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Are you taking a 20 mg tablet ?

can you get yourself prescribed two 10 mg tablets instead of 1 tablet of 20 mg ?

Regards..

Yes, I have 20 mg tabs but also have 10mg tabs and can get an additional prescription if necessary. I'll await additional info from you on an appropriate reduction/tapering schedule.

Thanks very much.

Thanks for the reply...

start taking 10 mg in morning and 10 mg dose in the evening for 1 week .

Then ,

10 mg in the morning and 5 mg (half tablet of 10 mg) in the evening for 1 week

Then,

10 mg in the morning dose only for 1 week

Then,

5 mg (half of 10 mg tablet) in the morning for 1 week.

Then stop the drug completely.

So, in this way you will be able to come off this drug completely in a safe manner ..

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist