How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Your Own Question
Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2177
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Michael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know you are probably getting tired of me. My husband and

Resolved Question:

Hi Dr. Michael. I know you are probably getting tired of me. My husband and I had a long talk, and he told me that he is having a difficult time dealing with the whole concept of Mental Ilness/Personality Disorders. He believes it's a serious issue but is going through what I did 30 years ago. It is all new to him.
As I told you previously, I have an excellent family psychologist who is an expert that testifies in court regarding custody etc. My husband has excellent insurance, and I believe that both of us will benefit from counseling with him. This case has reached a whole new level, and my husband thinks it would be beneficial to receive the one-on-one help from this doctor.
My husband has never had any formal counseling in dealing with his ex where I have. I find it very validating.
I want this to be beneficicial and the best thing for my husband and his daughter. He wants me involved, which I'm fine with. The Doc will tell me to get out if he feels the need! Just wanted your opinion and suggestions to make this process to go as efficiently as possible.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

I'd do one of two things---both do make sense in their own way and it is really a 'toss up' with regard to which one would work best. The best thing to do would be to set up an appointment on behalf of your husband and suggest to him that he have a private, initial consultation with the psychologist. Tell him that if it appears it would be helpful for you to join the discussion, you'd be happy to do so because it might keep you on the 'same page' in deciding what to do post-counseling. The alternative would be for the two of you to go in for the initial consult together, which would be o.k., but which I'm not as keen about. Primarily, your husband is anxious and somewhat fearful of what 'therapy' is all about and a joint session would allay his anxiety a bit, but really, an initial session alone would be more revealing and educational for HIM personally, I believe.

So this is what I'd suggest about the counseling.

Let me know if you have further questions. It is no trouble at all reading and responding to your questions. That's what I'm here for!
Dr. Michael and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 5 years ago.
I see you reviewed my last post. Any follow up comments or question? If not please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen. Thanks.