Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have a fetish for girls with ponytails. I get very aroused…

Customer Question
I have a fetish for...
I have a fetish for girls with ponytails. I get very aroused when I see a girl with a hair tied back neatly. I have had this fetish for as long as I can remember and there is not a day I that I dont think about it. Everyday I look for girls wearing a ponytail and cant stop thinking about it. It is very hard for me to get aroused if a girl is not wearing a ponytail. Please help me with what condition I have and why I have it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/14/2012
Mental Health Professional: Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness replied 6 years ago
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

Hi- What you write about is a relatively common fetish called Trichophilia which essentially means that you have are aroused by persons with a type of body hair - typically hair on the head- or in your case, ponytails.

Bill :

There is nothing wrong with having a fetish like this as long as it is not something that causes you anxiety or distress. If you are becoming obsessed to the point where it is interfering with your life and daily function you may want to speak to a mental health professional. Otherwise, become familiar with the subject and the intensity of the fetish will most likely dissipate.

Bill :

See the following links for further information on this fetish.

Bill :

Should you have further questions of me, feel free to ask.

Bill :

Otherwise, I wish you the very best,

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON SO THAT I CAN RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

I ALSO APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE FEEDBACK

Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
The extent of the obsession is very high. I dont know about anxiety because I dont get sad or anything. I just get aroused when I see them. I dont know if this is OCD or anything. I also havent really spoken to anyone about this. So it just keeps eating me inside. I dont even know how to talk to my girlfriend about it. She never wears ponytails and I really want her to. I told her that she looks cute in it but thats all she knows about it. She doesnt know to what extent I like it. Also what kind of mental health profesional should I see about it?
Hi Dr. I had replied to ur answer the other day. I dont know if you saw it. But i was really hoping for your opinion. Thank you
Hi- I'm sorry that I missed you reply.
I think it might be helpful for you to see a therapist for a short course of counseling to address this issue so that it doesn't feel so overwhelming.
Just having someone to talk to this about in a confidential setting can be very helpful and prevent this from turning into a full blow panic or anxiety disorder.
If you have this continued bombardment of obsessive thoughts related to this fetish it will most likely get worse so getting some short term help is what I would suggest to avoid this from becoming more of a problem than it needs to be.
Best, Bill
You can find therapists in your area by going to the following link:
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php
I do not have medical insurance. So this might turn out to be expensive for me. What is the shortest amount of time you would recommend for something like this. Also i see there are therapists that specialize in "sex therapy" and "sexual addiction" which one would this be classified as. Or which therapist is good for me (which specialty). Thank you for your help.
Someone that is experience in sex therapy is fine.
I think this is something that could be addressed in 4-6 sessions. Select someone that has special interest in CBT
(Cognitive Behavioral Therapy).
Best, Bill
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness