TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

How do i know if I have OCD??? I tend to have difficulty letting

How do i know if I have OCD??? I tend to have difficulty letting go of things such as topics in conversation with my wife, personal belongings or sometimes items (Books, magazines, misc junk) that catch my fancy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

The symptoms you list do not usually indicate OCD. Difficulty with letting go of conversations with your wife is most likely because you still want to say more to her or you feel something you talked about is unresolved.

Having trouble letting go can sometimes happen because some people equate letting go as a loss. Giving up a book or magazine that you enjoy may feel like you are losing something.

In comparison, OCD is a more intense disorder. It is broken down into different types of categories depending on the symptoms:

People who check things over and over

People who fear not doing everything right and therefore they will be punished

People who hoard (which might be what you were thinking of) items of no value for fear something will happen if they throw the items away

People who wash themselves over and over in fear of germs

People who count over and over or order things in rows or certain arrangements

The main symptom of OCD is fear. It is an anxiety based disorder. Most people will develop OCD by the time they are in their 20's. Onset after that age is unlikely and by the age of 47, it is very unlikely.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate