MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

I have been bipolar I since 1973. I'm currently on 1000mg

I have been bipolar I since 1973. I'm currently on 1000mg depakote and 20mg zyprexa. Is there any way of withdrawing from zyprexa successfully over time? And how would I do that?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
I could best help you if I knew why you were wanting to go off of the Zyprexa. Also, why exactly are you taking it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a Christian and believe that the Lord has healed me. Now I want to just try and wean myself off gradually to prove this is true. My only question is how gradual I should do this.
If you are determined to get off of the Zyprexa, then the way to do it (with your doctor's supervision), is probably to reduce it by 5mg (to 15mg daily) and leave it there for a month or so. If you do okay with that, then you could try reducing it to 10mg daily, for another month, then 5mg daily for a month, and then stop it.

Bipolar disorder is considered a lifelong illness for a reason, though. Please be aware that the reason you may seem healed may be that your bipolar disorder has been very well regulated by these two medications.