How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MN Psychiatrist Your Own Question
MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 792
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
MN Psychiatrist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Curwensville, PA. I have been married to my

This answer was rated:

Hi, I live in Curwensville, PA. I have been married to my husband for almost 20 years.He is 41 years old. Also we have no children. He was diagnosed with chronic depression in his teens. His current diagnosis is chronic depression with ADD and anxiety issues. When I married him he had problems with these, but wasn't that bad. We had some family issues come up over some land in 2002 and had to move. Since that time, his mental issues have gotten worse. He was on Ritalin for a number of years to help with the tiredness associated with the depression. In 2010, he became unreasonable. He would go into rages and exhibited extreme paranioa. He has been seeing a psychiatrist since that fall. He is currently taking Prozac. I don't remember the dose, but I remember the doctor saying it was the maximum dose. He is also on Trazadone and Lorazapam. He was taking Adderall for the stimulant, but is unable to get it from any pharmacy. The doctor will give him Ritalin again, but this also cannot be obtained. Over the years, my husband has ruminated on subjects. Since 2010, the object of his rumination has been the nextdoor neighbors. He is convinced that they are getting into the house. They are picking the locks or taking the doors out to get in. They are outside lurking around the house and the property all hours of the day and night. They are stalking him. They are getting into the house all the time if we are not here..He cannot leave the house alone because the neighbors will be in it as soon as we are gone. If he has a doctor's appointment, I must be here. If I go out, he cannot leave and must stay here. His psychiatrist has said that he wanted my husband to take antipsychotics to calm his mind and help him think clearly. Apparently, my husband refused. Since I haven't been to an appointment with him for over a year, I was unaware of this. I should also state that he has a shotgun and a legally owned handgun. He has stated on several occasions that he would shoot the neighbors if he caught them in the house. When he is in one of his rather unreasonable moods, he has said he would get enjoyment out of killing them for causing so much stress. After close to 20 years, I have had enough of the stress. I have physical health issues and I am going to school fulltime and I can't deal with his ruminating and obsessing anymore. I am leaving him. I need to move out and in order to have help with my move, his brothers have said that he needs to not be here and he needs to be disarmed. His family thinks that he is dangerous and they worry about him having the guns and how he is going to react when I leave. My question is- Is there some way I can get him committed or taken somewhere to get help and give me some time to get moved out? Rebecca
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
I'm sorry that you are having to go through this.
A few things to know that might help you start through this process:
You should share what you have shared here with his psychiatrist. His psychiatrist may have absolutely no idea as to the extent of his disturbed thoughts and paranoia. The fact is that what he says to his psychiatrist has limited privacy. If someone is in danger, the psychiatrist absolutely has the right to warn that person. Also, even in cases where someone is not in immediate danger and the psychiatrist isn't legally able to discuss their situation with someone else, it does not mean that the psychiatrist cannot receive information about that patient from someone who has important information to share about them.

His psychiatrist will be familiar with grounds for legal holds for evaluation of dangerousness and also with the commitment in PA. That is the FIRST place to start to ensure safety for all involved.

Another thing for which your awareness and understanding is crucial, is that stimulants, be they Ritalin or Adderall (or the corresponding generic medications) absolutely can cause or worsen irritability, aggression, and paranoia. Really. Despite your husband's problems with depression, it may be entirely possible that his paranoia is 100% due to his stimulant use. His psychiatrist needs to know that he is paranoid and worrying about shooting the neighbors. Again, his psychiatrist is the first place to start. Call him/her and leave a message. If he/she won't talk to you, get the office fax number and fax him/her a letter.

Does this make sense? If it doesn't, please let me know, because this is really important. I will be online a bit more tonight and then tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have called his psychiatrist and explained in detail the issues to the nurse. She has talked with the doctor about it. Apparently, they don't do evaluations like they used to. As far as the stimulants- I, and the psychiatrist, think it was the Ritalin that caused much of his agression in 2010, which was why he was taken off of it. Even without any stimulants, my husband will ruminate for hours on end about the subjects. I believe the doctor knows about my husband's paranioa. The doctor seems to think that he is delsional, which is why he wanted to put him on antipsychotics. Legally, I cannot get a police presence when I move out because he has no history of violence and no reports have been made. What my husband does is more of a mental abuse than a physical.
I see.
In this case you may need to make a report to the police, if you think that your neighbors could be in danger once you leave. I haven't assessed your husband face-to-face, but it sounds like he needs monitoring and or treatment at a higher level than that which he has.

Personally, I think I'd also warn the neighbors about what he's said, so that if anything ever happened, you conscience would be clear. I would include information about the threatening statements toward the neighbors in the report to the police. The purpose of the report would be so that if anything ever happened, you'd know that you'd done all you could to ensure adequate safety for all involved. I'd tell the psychiatrist that you'd done that (and given them his/her name; if he/she has done all that can be legally done then he/she should take no offense. On the other hand, if more can be done, this may provide an incentive for the psychiatrist to take some sort of a more active role in your husband's treatment.
MN Psychiatrist and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you