How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there such thing as "graduating" from the mental health

Customer Question

Is there such thing as "graduating" from the mental health system?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.


Yes and no. Graduating would imply that a person no longer needs mental health services, and when it comes to mental illness, these are something that often has to be maintained either with medication or counseling or both.

There are many children who grow up in residential treatment centers and you could say they too "graduate" at the end when they reach the age of 18 and enter society all on their own. Whether or not they'd ever return to a hospital, outpatient treatment or another residential setting is hard to say. Some do and others don't either because they're tired and do not believe in the therapeutic process, others are mentally handicapped and can't make the right decisions for themselves and others simply don't care.

I guess your question would depend on your own situation. If you want to switch care providers, that is something you can do for whatever reason, especially if you feel hindered with your current provider.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The expert does not directly provide a solution to the inquiry.
Instead, the response suggests further involvement.
The objective is learning the proper method to exit the institution.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.
I apologize but your post seemed like a hypothetical question. It did not specify you're seeking a solution.
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt
Dr. Rossi and 3 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

You can exit any institution freely by simply disconnecting from your provider for whatever reason you see fit. You simply inform them that you are leaving and will not be back. You don't owe a provider anything. Graduating as the expert suggests implies that you are finished or "all better". You may be experiencing less symptoms but eventually you may need care again. It is not graduating as much it is taking a break from whatever care you are receiving. You are not "done" but more in less need than you were months before.

You should end your association with a provider by giving you and even the provider closure. You inform them that you no longer wish to participate in any therapeutic process and leave on good terms so that you can always return when you need to.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you believe you have been misdiagnosed and been treated with criminal malfeasance, what is the next step?
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
If you believe you have been misdiagnosed then you should change providers. I know it sounds like you are running away but you can't change a provider's mind once they have decided on the diagnosis. Most of the time providers do not have the efficiency to share a mountain of information. You can go to a new provider and simply tell them that you were not happy with the care you received. Let them decide what the problem actually is. It is very common to be misdiagnosed and a provider should not assume anything. You can start fresh with someone and work this out in a new setting. As far as criminal misdoings,I don't understand your point. It is not a criminal offense to have an opinion that you feel is not accurate. Start with someone new and agree to disagree.