How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm really curious. My husband believes I have Polar. I have

This answer was rated:

hi there, I'm really curious. My husband believes I have Bi Polar. I have been undiagnosed. I have been under a lot of stress and have been taking magnesium as I was advised that this helps and it has.
Do you think magnesium deficiency contributes to the ups and downs of an alcoholic?
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Magnesium is a simple mineral supplement, necessary in proper diet but not a cure for Bipolar Disroder.

Bipolar Disorder, very basically, means that a person had had both mania and depressionat some time and may be manic or depressive, or neither at the moment, or sometimes BOTH at the same time.

Depression means feeling sad, worthless, lacking energy, motivation, possible feelin suicidal or thinking of death, and eating and sleeping too much or too little.

Mania means feeling overly elated, having too much energy, talking rapidly, engaging in reckless behaviour, feeling invincible.

Sometimes people with depression self-medicate with alcohol.

If you feel that ou have depression or bipolar disorder (manic depression) then you should talk to a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health counselor, or other mental health expert. You can be treated for both depression and bipolar disorder, and can even be treated for alcohol addiction.

I urge you to see a specialist and turn your life around. You will be so glad that you did.

I wish you GREAT success.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions