Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

What is the best way to get rid of depression-have used

Customer Question
SEVERAL meds...
what is the best way to get rid of depression-have used SEVERAL meds
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/1/2012
Mental Health Professional: psychlady, Therapist replied 5 years ago
psychlady
psychlady, Therapist

Depression can be very resistant but there is always hope. The first thing you should know is that medication is very effective but takes trial after trial to get it right. When you find the right combination you will be amazed. Because we can't xray the brain we have to use a trial and error method to medication. You have to have the determination to stick it out. Even though it is very frustrating, you can't have tried the vast array of meds on the market. To really get the maximum benefit from treatment medication really needs to be given in combination with therapy. Therapy can teach you the skills you need to identify what increases your depression and what strategies you can do to minimize it. When you have just medication you lose that ability to deal with your individual depression.

Find a therapist by logging onto American Psychological Association and consider medication in a way that allows you to find the benefit from both options. If you want to educate yourself you can find The Depression Workbook to be very helpful

Please press accept; this is the only way I am compensated

psychlady
psychlady
psychlady, Therapist