Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and Borderline

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder. Sleep is not coming easily. Could you please give me some ideas how to beat insomnia?
I have tried different medications but nothing seems to work. My mind always stays too active but I am now reaching the point where my body is exhausted.
Thanks.
Sue
Hello Sue,

Kindly mention your current medicines along with the dose and timing of each one of them.

Thanks

Vikas
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is everything that I take (not just mental health meds):

Olanzapine - 20mg at night

Agomelatine - 50mg at night

Bendroflaumethiazide - 2mg in morning

Lansoprazole - 30mg in morning

Simvastatin - 20mg at night

Xenical - 120mg 3 times a day

I am also allowed to take the following when I need them:

Promethazine - 25mg - up to 3 at night and 1 during the day. This can be flexible but no more than 100mg in any 24 hours.

The Promethazine does help me get off to sleep sometimes but does leave me very groggy the following day!

Thanks for your reply Sue.

You have mentioned that your major problem is currently insomnia and you have already tried so many medicines for it.

I am suggesting you two medicine about which you can discuss with your doctor and these two medicine are Quetiapine (Seroquel) and Gabapentin (Neurontin). In my view, adding any one of them by your doctor should be useful in your case.

Both of these two medicines are very sedating and can cause significant sedation therefore when used in low dose of 25 to 50 mg (Seroquel) or 300 mg (Neurontin) at night can be very helpful in controlling your Insomnia.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated

Best wishes,

Vikas