David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

I have had major depressive disorder for 30 years. I have

I have had major depressive disorder for 30 years. I have now used every drug. Multiple 'cognitive" sessions and books. Ect. Acupuncture. I FEEL THERE IS NOTHING LEFT, NO HOPE. Can you help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David Akiva replied 5 years ago.
DuddyH :

Welcome, I'm a professional counselor and behavioral-consultant. I'd like to chat with you for a few moments to better understand your question.

DuddyH :

Do you have a couple of minutes right now?

DuddyH :

You show as "Standing By" but you seem to be doing something else right now. That's ok. I'll check back shortly for your response.

Customer:

I'm back! Sorry! Charles at 12;29

DuddyH :

No problem..

DuddyH :

Would you mind expanding on the situation and problem? Also, part of my job here is to help clients clarify their question. Is there any chance you can provide a more specific question for me to answer today?

Customer:

Specifically, from day to day if feel hopeless/mildly suicidal. Other days I feel if I just ACCEPT what I have and strive to keep my few friends close, that is better than death. I have NOT heard of any new scientific/pharmaceutical treatments that would give me back hope.

DuddyH :

Thank you for the clarification and I am truly sorry to hear that you are going through this. The reason I decided to try and answer your question is because I like to make sure that people who are trying to manage depression are aware of one of the most effective evidence-based treatments (psychotherapy forms). It's called "behavioral activation therapy".....answer continued..

DuddyH :

Behavioral activation is actually the behavioral part of cognitive behavioral therapy as demonstrated in now famous (among therapists) study that looked at how effective the cognitive and behavioral components of CBT were independent of one and other. It turns out that a strongly behavior analytic (behavioral approach) can in many cases be as or more effective than psychotherapy....

DuddyH :

Let me get you a couple of links for more detailed clarification. I'll be back in a few moments.

Customer:

Okay

DuddyH :

This is what I mean by behavioral activation: http://www.christophermartell.com/ba.php

DuddyH :

Here's a good basic overview of the component analysis study I mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_activation

Customer:

can you send those to my email or should I write them out right now?

DuddyH :

Actually you should be able to just click on them and they should open in another window for you and you can can save the links or leave them open for later review or to print out. Also, you can save a transcript of our chat once we've finished and access the links again from there too.

Customer:

Thank you! anything more?

DuddyH :

That was what I was reminded off when I saw your question. Are you familiar with the kind of behavior therapy I'm referring to here?

Customer:

Vaguely, but briefly clue me in

DuddyH :

Well, in activation therapy the goal is to gradually increase activity levels that are result in what they call "positive reinforcement". The idea is the more "positive reinforcement" you can built in to their day the more the healthy life behaviors they follow will become a part of a person's regular routine.

Customer:

I remember that from past cognitive sessions. I suppose if I can get my a.. out of bed in the morning I'm still healthy enough to do pos. reinf. behaviours. Thank you.

DuddyH :

I would also suggest that you find the best possible trained behavioral therapist in your area who has conducted both research and therapy in depressive disorder. A great teacher once told me decades ago to always try to go to the top person in the field to get advice and help. I would suggest e-mailing or calling Dr. Martell for example to see who he recommends in your area....

DuddyH :

Here is the link with his contact information. I don't know him but when I needed couples counseling once with my wife, I contacted the world's leading marital therapist and actually got a 90 minute session with her as part of our therapy.

DuddyH :

That marital therapy really helped me and my wife when we needed it.

Customer:

I will do contact Martell first, and find somebody near where I live, hopefully. YOu've been a great help.

DuddyH :

Ok, I hope so. And please, only pay for this answer if you feel it might sincerely ***** ***** to get the best treatment. I wish you the very best.