How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MN Psychiatrist Your Own Question
MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 792
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
MN Psychiatrist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I suppress my sex drive? My husband is recovering

Resolved Question:

How do I suppress my sex drive? My husband is recovering from an illness and recovery will take months. I realize it is wrong to expect relations with him during this time.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
I'm sorry to here about this situation.
The short answer to your question is to take an SSRI (serotonin) antidepressant. I say this because the pretty reliably decrease peoples' interest in sex. Examples of such medications are: Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, etc. They may be taken for any length of time, and when they are stopped, sexual interest returns to normal.
Does this answer your question?
MN Psychiatrist and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you