Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My 14 month old son has started hitting other children in

Customer Question
Hi my 14 month old...
Hi my 14 month old son has started hitting other children in nursery and behaving quite badly at home, I have tried telling him no, I've tried the naughty step and I've tried tapping on the hand but nothing is working. He also did something strange in nursery today, he was pulling up othe kids tops and rubbing their backs. Is this normal? What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
1/13/2012
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist

In such a small child of 14 months old, it is not possible to comment upon the probable diagnosis on internet without thoroughly evaluating this child both from the medical as well as psychiatric point of view but this behavior can not be considered to be normal in my view, specially if it is recurrent, persistent and occurring at both home and the nursery.

In my view, he should be evaluated by a combined team of pediatrician (Child specialist) first and then a child psychiatrist.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Relist: Answer quality.
Mental Health Professional: Brad The Therapist, LCPC replied 6 years ago
Brad The Therapist
Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations and suggestions, I have a few questions. First, when did this first started? What was happening in your son's (or your) life during this time. Also, has ever experienced or witnessed any type of abuse or trauma? After your response, I may be able to provide some suggestions.
It's started happening maybe a month ago but the rubbing kids backs has only happened once. He's never ever experienced or witnessed any abuse at all we have a stable home and we try and keep him in a good routine but the this behaviour started when his routine got mixed up due to us having building work done on our house. He was such a good boy until recently, could this be the start of terrible twos? He's also very loving, loves cuddles and is always blowing kisses to people. I've tried everything and he does listen sometimes he just so hyper he goes wild sometimes.
I want him to grow into a nice young man so please help I adore my son and he's generally well behaved so I think this behaviour has shocked me because im so used to the little sweet boy I had and now he's a lil man n wants his own way all the time.
Thank you for your response. Other than your current concerns, are there any developmental milestones your son is not reaching at this point? Also, what is your or the caretaker (at the nursery) response when this happen? After your response, I will have a suggestion or two for you.
The Nursery nurse wasn't phase by it at all she told me to persevere with telling him it's wrong to hit and she said when he was rubbing another kids back she said it made her laugh and maybe he thought it felt nice!?! No he is very forward for his ages, ahead f some of the older children in his nursery group. When we cuddle him I rub his back, could it be that? Could he be trying to show affection?
Thank you for your response. Yes, your son may be modeling your behavior of rubbing a peer's back as he finds that as a way to show affection. In my opinion, there is nothing for you to be worried about.
Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC