How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5823
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the sssi's that should be taken to treat ocd? Where

Resolved Question:

What are the sssi's that should be taken to treat ocd? Where can we get someone in Dallas,TX. to help my son with his ocd? We've been told only certain doctors and treatment centers exist in the country. I need something close to home. My son can't hold a job or seem to want to work. This kid has a master's degree and he can't get his act together. Can he be cured or is this something we will be dealing with forever? Because of this condition his social skills are lacking and he dresses and acts like he is still 15 or 16 years old. Does ocd have anything to do with this condition?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the request.

Any SSRI will be effective. Paxil, Prozac, Celexa are all examples of commonly used SSRIs. The thing to know with SSRIs or any medication is that each person reacts differently. Everyone has different body chemistry so a medication that works for one person may not work for another. It is very common for people who take medications to try different ones until they find one that is compatible with their own body chemistry.

Here is a good guide to medications for your son:

It sounds like your son needs a thorough evaluation. The symptoms you are describing, including the lack of social skills and acting and dressing like a 15 or 16 year old, sound more like someone with Asperger's disorder or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder rather than someone with OCD. OCD is an anxiety disorder, which does not affect a person's development levels or social skills to that extent.

Here is a listing for therapists available in your area that specialize in OCD. If they cannot help you get an evaluation for your son, they will be able to refer you if need be. Most therapists are trained to evaluate and diagnose, but if you feel your son needs more specific treatment or more intensive, such as hospitalization, then the therapists will be able to refer you. They will be the most knowledgeable of the resources in your area for people with OCD.

You also may want to contact NAMI for other resources in your area. The will know the best options for your son and for support for you and your family.

The best option though still would be getting your son a full evaluation. He does not seem to be diagnosed appropriately. Having the right diagnosis will help you find the correct treatment for your son so he can recover and lead a normal life.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you