Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

I have redness in the face alot of the time, it worsens

I have redness in the face alot of the time, it worsens after a hard day at work after I have been sitting for about 20 mins or so. It feels like my face is heating up and building pressure in my head. It causes me anxiety or worsens anxiety. I'm not sure. I also have trouble sleeping sometimes and sweat somewhat easily, especially in enclosed spaces/rooms with alot of people.  What can it be and what can I do??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 5 years ago.
Brad :

Thank you for your question. When did this anxiety first start? What is the name of your medication that you are taking? Also, have you considered attending therapy for your symptoms?

Customer:

Hey there. I think it started about 2-3 years ago just kind of out of nowhere... I'm taking Cipralex 10 mg, twice a day and Sotalol HCL 80 mg, twice a day due to heart surgery (pulmonary valve replaced)

Customer:

I haven't really thought about therapy

Customer:

What do you think I can do?

Brad :

There are a number of things you can do to ease your anxiety. First, I suggest taking deep breaths where you breath in where your stomach expands, and breath out where your stomach deflates. Do this 10 times when feeling stressed or anxious. The deep breathing is a distraction technique from the anxiety. If the deep breaths do not work, I encourage you to think about something that is pleasurable.

Brad :

another suggestion I have is to use a technique called "thought stopping" where you just tell yourself "stop, stop, stop" over and over again until the thought disappears. Thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are all interrelated

Brad :

so another suggestion I have is to change one of these things. For example, if you have thoughts that you are not going to succumb the pressure, challenge the thought which will change your feelings and behaviors. If you feel sad and isolate yourself, don't isolate yourself and force yourself to do the opposite which will change your feelings and thoughts.