How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is 30yo and has bipolar disorder and has recently

This answer was rated:

My sister is 30yo and has bipolar disorder and has recently been starting to seem manic. She is not sleeping, is very irritable and upsetting a lot of the family. She refuses to see her doctor or go into the emergency department. What options do I have to get help for her?
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm so sorry to hear about your 30 year-old sister's situation.
It sounds like she has Bipolar disorder.
Her current condition is worrisome. Is she on medication prescribed by her psychiatrist ?
If not, she may need to start working with her doctor and/or a psychiatrist & a psychologist.
If she is dangerous to herself and and is unable to take care of self due to her mental problems, you need to ask her to go to an emergency room of a local hospital. If she can not or does not, you may call A LOCAL MOBILE CRISIS TEAM or PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM designated by her city and county for psychiatric evaluation and involuntary hospitalization. Or seek help immediately: Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
For her bipolar disorder, she needs to work with psychiatrist (M.D.) and psychotherapist. Treatment for bipolar disorder consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist. Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment. Individual psychotherapy will help her for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Group therapy is useful for her to address the issues – adherence to medication and therapy, regulation of self-esteem, and management of other psychosocial issues. Support groups are available in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Friends and family should join a support group to better understand the illness so that they can continue to offer encouragement and support to her.
If she has no health insurance or need low cost treatment, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area in which she can get treatment described above even without health insurance.
I recommend the book Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder by
Julie A. Fast, John D. Preston PsyD to you and your family.
I hope your sister gets treatment for her condition as soon as possible.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you