How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask commissure Your Own Question
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 46717
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
commissure is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a three year old, my grandson showed signs of dyspraxia

Customer Question

As a three year old, my grandson showed signs of dyspraxia although he was never formally diagnosed. He struggled through school, never managing to complete homework and has found 'pressure' from any direction in school or at home so bad, that he would get a nosebleed. He is now almost 18 and has recently dropped out of college due to the pressure involved. It took a lot for him to go to his GP and ask for help, only to be told that the GP wanted to run tests for STD's (he has never had sex). He desperately needs help, as his family think he could not even get through an interview due to the stress involved, let alone hold down a job. He needs help!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  commissure replied 5 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

it does sound like he needs help

some of his issue could be increased anxiety. this can be easily treated with anxiety medication.

but his issues sound deeper possilby than simply anxiety. he could very well have dyspraxia. there are not a lot of great treatments for dyspraxia.

I would skip the GP and see if he is willing to see a neurologist with psychiatry training or a psychiatrist with neurology training. he might need baby step sorts of treatments. first getting his anxiety down. and then trying several medications to see if they help. it will be a long battle. possibly a lifetime battle. the key will be if he will be able to see a physician who will be willing to put the time face to face with him to help him. if he is 18, he should still be under his parents health care insurance.

best of luck to you and him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, but I thought my question would be answered by a qualified physician in the field of psychology and not oncology. I am not satisfied and do not want to pay for this answer.
Expert:  commissure replied 5 years ago.
I can move the question over to mental health section and see if a psychiatrist can help you.

please be patient and I will move the quesiton.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, but I do not want to go on with any other experts. I thought I would be receiving replies form physicians in England where we live. Please erase my Mastercard details as I do not wish to pay. I feel I have been coerced into giving my Mastercard details under false pretenses.