TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate, I haven`t been doing so well this past week. Plus I`ve

Kate,
Hi there. I haven`t been doing so well this past week. Plus I`ve done some bad things tonight.
I took some pills and I also took several swipes at my leg with a nice sharp knife. Bad things have been happening over the past week and I can`t handle it. I feel like I am out of control and I can`t seem to keep things where they should be.
I don`t know what to do. I don`t know how to calm down. I don`t know how to get my head in a right place. I am so mixed up. A big part of me really wishes she could die. But I don`t think I have the right amount of courage to do anything to end my misery although I wish I did.
Kathy

Hello Kathy,

It might be a good idea to get checked out at the hospital if you are taking more pills than you are supposed to. You do not know the effect they may have on you and many people can hurt themselves without ever really intending to.

Cutting yourself is a way to relieve the stress you feel. It may work for a while, but in the long run, all you will have is physical pain. The emotional pain will still be there. Finding other ways to express the stress and pain you feel is a priority. Think of some ways you can match or exceed the temporary stress relief of cutting.

Start by finding out your triggers. It sounds like this week has been stressful so there may have been many triggers. When you notice that your stress is building up, it is time to start taking measures to stop the stress and let it out. Keep a list of stress relievers nearby. Start using them when you notice the stress.

Identify your feelings. Know what you are feeling instead of just giving in to the stress. Are you angry, sad or lonely? Write down how you feel.

Call someone. If you do not have family or friends you can contact, try this number:

S.A.F.E. Alternatives information line at(###) ###-####for referrals and support for cutting and self-harm. This number is ***** the U.S. They may help you or they can refer you to a resource in Canada.

Contact your therapist so you can talk out how you feel.

Remember, there are alternatives to cutting and hurting yourself. You just need to practice using them so you are more likely to turn to them before you choose to hurt yourself.

Kate